Ultimate Subaru Message Board

headlights issue

hey wats up everyone i havent been on in over a year hope everyone is doing awesome out in the subaru world. so my trusty GL wagon has been having some issues with its headlights. when i flip the switch to lowbeams the headlights dont turn on only the parking lights and rear tail lights work BUT interestingly enough the highbeam flashers do whenever i pull the lever toward me. i need some clues as to where to look into because live out in the countryside and its pretty dark out at night and sometimes someone at home needs to use it to go somewhere at night and we cant.

thanks so much

are you sure its not just your bulbs? i would check power where the bulb plugs in with a multi-meter and see if you have power

one connector is high beam, one is low beam, and one is ground. or you could plug in a known good bulb and see if that works

Edited by mikaleda

As he said:

... BUT interestingly enough the highbeam flashers do whenever i pull the lever toward me. ...

... if the Bulbs lit whenever the Highbeams flasher is Pulled, the Bulbs must be alright.

So, beside the Relays (More info ~► Here.) The Main Lights' Switch should be the Culprit.

I Kindly suggest to start checkin' there.

Kind Regards.

As he said:

... if the Bulbs lit whenever the Highbeams flasher is Pulled, the Bulbs must be alright.

So, beside the Relays (More info ~► Here.) The Main Lights' Switch should be the Culprit.

I Kindly suggest to start checkin' there.

Kind Regards.

true but remember there are two filaments in these bulbs one for the low beam and one for the highbeams. im definitely gon look into the relays cuz it does make sense to check those bad boys too

are you sure its not just your bulbs? i would check power where the bulb plugs in with a multi-meter and see if you have power

one connector is high beam, one is low beam, and one is ground. or you could plug in a known good bulb and see if that works

thats a good start cuz only the highbeam flashers work. maybe i have a bad low beam connector? what are the chances of it being the main headlight switch on the dashboard? (85 GL wagon ea82)

It could very well be the switch and everything that everyone else is saying. But just gonna throw in my two cents. On my old GL, at one point, only the high beams would work on the passenger light. If it was just on the low beams, then the light wouldn't be turned on. Turn on high beams and it lights up. If that makes sense.... So basically I think I had the same problem you are having. High beams work, low beams don't. Anyways, what just happened for me was the low beam filament in the light bulb was burnt out. Went to O'Reilly and picked up a new headlight for $15 or so. Had it in stock so no waiting. Took 20 minutes to install and my headlight was working again. This might work for you, but it might not. That's just how I fixed my problem and I think it's the same problem.

i said that at the begging of the post lol i always suggest that at first. i have been thinking about it my moms subie at one point only the high beams would work and we couldn't figure it out and we took it to a electrical guy and he told us the alternator was bad he put a new alternator in and all of the sudden the low beams started working again :D i don't know what caused that but that is another thing to consider

Don't forget Japanese weirdness over the years where they run permanant power to Lights and switch the earth to complete the circuits on some vehicles.The early datsun 510 being a prime example as well as the Toyota Levin AE86,havent needed to upgrade my Lighting circuit yet so I am not sure on the 81's.

That is a future project, But I suspect the Switch or relay as these involve moving parts and hence are more prone to fail long term like the dash dimmer section plays up in the Switch.

If you haven't yet verified that the low beam filaments in the bulbs are good, as others have already stated, then you need to do that next. If they are ok then a fault with the switching is most likely the problem since the lows and highs share the same power to the lights. It is the ground side that is switched to turn on the lights.

edit: so when you turn on your lights your head lights don't turn on, but do they turn on when you put them on normal brights (pushed forward). if not i would say it is the switch
they work only when i pull the switch back toward me....

they work only when i pull the switch back toward me....

That is the way mine were.

Pull the trim panels and check your connections for the dimmer switch.

Main feed to the dimmer had gotten hot and discolored the connector body. Connector terminals themselves had been softened due to the heat from resistance, so they lost the connection.

I just cut the affected wires and crimped a set of bullet connectors onto them, plugged them together.

Got lights!!!!!

That is the way mine were.

Pull the trim panels and check your connections for the dimmer switch.

Main feed to the dimmer had gotten hot and discolored the connector body. Connector terminals themselves had been softened due to the heat from resistance, so they lost the connection.

I just cut the affected wires and crimped a set of bullet connectors onto them, plugged them together.

Got lights!!!!!

i would try that and see what happens. i think your problem is something to do with your switch and the dimmer is the most likely culprit.

Edited by mikaleda