Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are these valves bent or just dirty?

90,000 mile 1999 EJ22 heads. I have no reason to suspect bent valves, the lower end is bad but heads/timing were fine when I got it.

When I fill the intake and exhaust ports with water some of the valves seep water. I realize this is not a good test...but

Is this typical build up/wear of the valves/seats that any 100,000 mile motor would have?

Or possible bent valves?

When valves bend are they always obvious or can it sometimes be an amount you can't visually see?

Valve test with water? I would have chosen "petroleum" - not sure what y'all call that chemical in the States.

Anyway, it's quite possible that the valve seats are just dirty. A small amount of uneven soot build-up, can harden and cause minor leaks.

Are the heads still in place?

Lap the valves - could have carbon debris in them from removal, etc.
copy, that is what i was preparing for anyway, got the tools all ready for that.

i guess most folks don't test this way so probably not much feedback on whether a little bit is normal or not.

i have new valve stem seals too so i'll replace all of those and check them.

Generally water is not the best choice around valves and valve guides that are steel.
indeed!

i have had them seep before lapping and none after. just did this on wife's car. deep creep ran through them like erm....water. lapped them and installed new valve seals and no more.
great, thanks for sharing. i think i'll just lap them and see how it goes.

so bent valves - always obvious or can they be "slightly bent"....like thousandths of an inch out that you can't visually see but would cause issues?