Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inner CV Axle DOJ came apart - can I just put it back in and go?

2004 Forester 4EAT Auto trans.

-Replacing front strut and when installing the new one the hub flopped outward and the rubber boot came off the inner CV joint and grease leaked out.

-Can I just put some more grease back in, push it back on, put a hose clamp on it and run it?

Or is it 'bad' since it came loose?

Here is a pic of what came loose (not my car). The top piece -bearings - was pulled out of the bottom housing.

IMG_6806.jpg

Thanks,

TD

Edited by wtdash

It's missing the retaining wire that goes into the groove just inside the cup.... unless that's not in the picture. That's probably why it came apart when it was pulled on. I've seen reman axles where they forgot to install the wire.

If you don't have the wire I suppose just reassemble it and run it without. It won't come apart unless you disassemble the suspension to allow enough room for that to happen.

GD

Thanks GD and CNY. The missing clip makes sense - however I don't know 'where' this clip goes.

Is it listed in this pic of the axle - maybe part of #15?

383494928002.png

There IS a metal band still on the rubber boot - it has the proprietary/OEM-style connector - like #7 above.

I may just put back together and see how it holds w/a hose clamp?

DIY LINK on RS25.com