Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy, Shifting issues.

So I have a 90 Legacy LS 5-speed, and today while leaving work the transmission decided to get "stuck" in 1st gear, finally I pulled into into a parking spot and turned off the car and tried to shift it out of first into other gears and nothing, then i got it into what I believe was neutral but still i could not shift it into any gear but 1st and that was no easy task. Finally I gave in and thought my tranny was a goner and decided to limp home in 1st gear when after 10 feet lo and behold, I was able to shift perfectly into all my gears as if nothing ever happened. Anyone have an idea as to what happened? Also my shifter has a lot of play side to side, and when i checked the tranny fluid levels it was overfull. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Goobysoobs

yes i know fixed thiss yesterday on a 98 forester the rods for the shifters lay in the bottom of the case when they move on a downhill any crap in trans gets pulled into the rod and jams it up take very little materail to do thiss tiny bit of meatal or dirt the rods are the lowest point the way to fix it is to park on realy steep uphill forward facing and work the shifter 1rst to second many many times till it moves freely thiss will spit out any bitts that are traped and hopfully move them down towards magnet then change fliud have fixed at least 4 of them 2 had to pull cases apart to get unjamed was dirt in rods both times