Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do you use Fuel Injector Cleaner every 3K mi. as Subaru recommends?

Subaru recommends Fuel Injector Cleaner every 3K miles for optimum performance and fuel efficiency. The dealer sells the Subaru cleaner for $7.64.

Do you use Fuel Injector Cleaner regularly, and if so, how often and which kind?

If you fill up with Chevron Techron once in a while, is it still necessary?

I personally like Lucas Injector cleaner. I buy the gallon and have like 8-12 of the little bottles that I keep refilling for friends, family, and myself. Actually I have a Lucas quart bottle I fill from the gallon, then use the quart with the (can't think of the word - screw un nipple) to fill the small bottles that will fit into the filler neck.

I roughly run one bottle every oil change for family, friends, and myself as maintenance. Often the only time I see a car is when it's due for maintenance.

Seafoam is supposed to be good too and a fuel stabilizer. I have a tendency to use it for specific problems through a vacuum line.

I'm weird and put gas into my gas tank. I used to put stuff in there...seafoam, MMO...then I guess I just got too busy to think about it. Gas is equipped with mandated cleaners, I would guess and hope that it's sufficient for most daily driving duties...but I can't claim that holds any water either.

I can tell you MMO cleans out catalytic converters. They were plugged up pretty bad on my truck to where they were killing power, but the truck has no post o2 sensor so it didn't throw a code. I ran MMO in the fuel for 600 miles and not only did it clean out the cats, I got back some missing power. Now this is a truck the we have owned since it was brand new off the lot and we have never ran a fuel additive in the tank since we bought it and it now has a 104,000 miles. I ran Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel and when I decided to pull the catalytic converters they were spotless. They were so clean I held it up 2 light and you could see right through them. Now I don't know about you but if you can make a catalytic converters that clean I'm pretty sure Marvel Mystery Oil is good for something. My buddy also put it in his Honda engine that you fired up in the morning it would burn a little oil and now it doesn't burn any oil at all. The oil burning went away after about 200 miles. Of course that 200 miles came fast for him because he drives 80 miles a day so yeah. I'm a strong believer in Marvel Mystery Oil. I had a 1991 Mazda Navajo that had a few running issues so I ran Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel with the fuel pressure regulator disconnected. After about 500 miles I noticed a huge improvement in acceleration and throttle response. No I probably want to ask somebody on the forum first about doing this to my Subaru because I don't know if the fuel rail would be able to hold up to full pressure all the time. Anyone have any input on that???

Edited by soobie_newbie67

A lot of dealers use BG fuel injector cleaner, and some use the MOA (Motor Oil Additive) which is good stuff. I'm not so sure about their fuel cleaner.

I figure a bottle every 3k is fine, because after an injector starts to clog you can't get the fuel through it to help clean it.

Another thought. An old mechanic I had told me not to use a fuel system cleaner in my old S-10's because they had metal tanks and it would likely loosen up all the crap in the fuel system and cause that crap to make it's way to the throttle body injection system(what that truck had on it). Truck had like 60k at that time.

So I try and do this since the vehicle is new. There is more to the fuel system than those injectors you're trying to keep clean.