Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is going on now?

OK so I got my battery light and all warnings to go off. I ran the multimeter. only pulling 12.70 volts to the battery . i tried both my alternators which I know both are good. . then plugged my ignition in and went to start up again. WOW. what do You know no power tobthe ignition all accessories. work. opened the fusable link box the middle red one is fried. burnt in half. would this cause the power to not flow right? I think it happened when I forgot to disconnect. the battery when I started. taking the alternator off I made some sparks. :(.what do I do next. how can I find where the power is draining. im starting to get upset. since the car had no problem When I parked it besides bad gas.

OK so I got my battery light and all warnings to go off. I ran the multimeter. only pulling 12.70 volts to the battery . i tried both my alternators which I know both are good. . then plugged my ignition in and went to start up again. WOW. what do You know no power tobthe ignition all accessories. work. opened the fusable link box the middle red one is fried. burnt in half. would this cause the power to not flow right? I think it happened when I forgot to disconnect. the battery when I started. taking the alternator off I made some sparks. :(.what do I do next. how can I find where the power is draining. im starting to get upset. since the car had no problem When I parked it besides bad gas.
If you can make it to Bothell, I have some fusible links you can have. Or drop me a PM with an address and I might be able to make it north this weekend sometime.

Your problem is most likely poor connections between the fusible link and the box or between the power wire to the box and its connection point at the box. Poor connection = resistance, resistance = heat, heat = failure.

A short arc from the alt wire should not have melted a link but an extended touch could have.

GD

I have been told that I should be using the blue 20 amp fuses, as the 30 amp are too much for the wiring. I have not had a problem and hopefully I wont :)

here are pictures of the fuses / fusible links in place. They push down to the hilt on the fuse. my only concern is that the black cover doesn't go back on but the fusible links are sealed so it isn't a problem. As well this car gets driven on beaches all the time and I have never had a "moisture" problem.

sitting in the fusabile link tray

20121024_131925_zpsbbecc3d6.jpg

one removed

20121024_131955_zps32d520f3.jpg

where it lives

20121024_132011_zpse7040ac4.jpg

my engine bay

20121024_132028_zps151596ac.jpg

my brumby

20121024_132038copy_zps3eadf256.jpg

TOONGA

Edited by TOONGA
changed brumby photo

I've done the same as Toonga since doing all the body work to Ruby Scoo:

dsc2559fusiblelinks.jpg

dsc2561fusiblelinks.jpg

This is done with an L series :-P

And my lid still fits on - held with some cable ties that I can slip over the top of the brown lid to hold it on as the hinge is broken.

Cheers

Bennie