Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping a '00 EJ25 SOHC non-egr into a '03 Legacy

I have a '00 EJ25 (SOHC non-egr) from a BH outback that has been completely
rebuilt on hand in the shop. I just picked up a '03 BH legacy (SOHC + egr) with a pretty strong noise in
the engine, either piston slap or immanent tensioner failure.

I rebuilt the '00 EJ25 planning on swapping it into a VW Vanagaon, this is
a long term project that won't be on the road until 2014....... hopefully.

So rather then pull the '03 EJ25 and doing a rushed R&R, I would like to just
drill and tap the EGR port into the '00 outback engine and swap it into
the '03. Then I can rebuild the '03 at my leisure and use it in the van
when the time comes.

So aside from the EGR stuff is there anything else that needs to be changed over from one long block to the
other? I read somewhere to swap the cam and crank gears, not sure why exactly since both are phase2 SOHC 2.5's.

Anyway any input or advise would be appreciated.

I did find the thread on the EGR drill and tap. Looks pretty straight forward, I work as a aircraft maintainence engineer and pretty much just drill holes in aluminum for a living. I might spin up a few drill stops on the lathe to fit the drill bits to manage - control hole depth.

Edited by EastCoastEJ22T

if you use the 03 intake with the EGR on the 01 block and heads you will have to replace that equipment once the 03 is ready to install next year.

Could I not just freshen up the `03 long block & plug the EGR port. Then run it off the `00 harness, cam & crank sensor sprockets, intake manifold and ecu. It`s basically the reverse of what I am doing to the `03.

BTW I have the complete `00 outback on hand. Plus I have a few other subaru engines available (Ej22t, EG33, and a EJ25 DOHC etc.) but I want to run a newer EJ25 sohc in the vanagon. Got hpétq numbers and better fuel economy and reliabilty. I love my EG33 swap but it is a absolute pig on fuel.