Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I thought I had a simple O2 sensor issue. Hoping for about 200 dollar repair.  Turns out thsi may be more like 1300.  Somewhere along the line someone welded the O2 sensor in to the middle cat.  The middle cat also looks alittle worn. 

I am mostly just venting but wish I could find a cheaper part. I saw the CAT quoted for 840 itsel!!! damn.  Think I  am going to suggest rockauto.com to my shop guy but I am sure shipping and handling changes things plus takes longer than getting it from o'reilly's or something in or across town. But damn that is not what I had hoped for. :(

... someone welded the O2 sensor in to the middle cat.  The middle cat also looks alittle worn. ... 

Holy Cow! ... I thought I had bad Luck when I found that the Previous Owner of my Wife's car, Welded the Timing Belt's Sprocket to the Cranckshaft... and it was a Very Bad Welding that burned the Seal behind it, lettin' oil to Drip, and the Main pulley wiggled so Bad, that I had to Swap the entire Engine's Long Block...

Why don't you try to Obtain a Good Used Cat + O2 Sensor?

Maybe someone here could have those for sale...

Kind Regards.

I would love to.  Time is a facot and I don't know if this place is looking for used parts.  I could probably get cheaper with a different shop.  I trust the work these guys do though.  I should have asked about used parts.  Ahh well. Debt! its the American way!!!

an exhaust shop can weld in new pipe for not much money.  pipe is cheap, it could easily be done for the $200 you were hoping for.

thing is many shops aren't set up to easily do welding, etc - this is where muffler and exhuast shops shine.  but you have to find one you can trust that doesn't want to charge insane rates.

around here and pittsburgh, PA exhaust shops charge $40 - $50 to repair a rust section of exhaust, very common in the rust belt.

O2 sensor bungs are the same - easily welded in place and exhaust shops have them on hand.

used is the best option probably.  some aftermarkets are fairly rusty in just a year or two in the rust belt, at least some of the $80 - $150 specials on ebay are.  not sure about others, probabyl last longer but not the 10+ years of OEM.

The problem with a used cat is finding one. Junkyards can't legally sell them, and shops can't legally install them. EPA bullshit laws.

I would take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can cut the old sensor off and weld a new sensor bung on so the new sensor can be threaded in the way it should be.

The problem with a used cat is finding one. Junkyards can't legally sell them, and shops can't legally install them. EPA bullshit laws.

I would take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can cut the old sensor off and weld a new sensor bung on so the new sensor can be threaded in the way it should be.

^+1

If they find it hard to cut, just have them torch it til red, then a simple twist will take it right off.

Tis why whenever I heat mine (not to red) I use a vise grip to hold the bung and a wrench on the O2.

O.

Or leave it on the curb with the keys in it, it will disappear because the fixit fairies will come and get it, but then you will freak and call the cops and they will find it in a ditch all stripped out because the fixit faeries HATE it when the cops get involved and will strip your car and leave the rusting hull somewhere for you to find instead of fixing it like they are supposed to. it helps to have a nice stereo in it, fixit fairies love to crank the tunes when fixin stuff.

Then you have to get your insurance company involved, and you end up getting a new car which you WON'T leave on the curb with the keys in it because you will have learned that the fixit fairies are mean mother f@(#er$.

yup

creatively,

timothy