Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can't find the right exhaust manifold gasket

odie

The Subaru gaskets I listed work for me.

how much sealing area do you have? On my engine the flat sealing area around the exhaust port barely covers the edge of the sealing ring on the gasket. The engine is marked EA81? I think somewhere on the block that I recall seeing. Not sure if it's original to the vehicle or has been rebuilt or has different heads with smaller ports or what...maybe 1.6 heads on a 1.8 block?

It's just when I placed those subaru gaskets up into place, it was just so right on the edge of the mating surface that I just don't see how it can be the right one.

But again, with a 30 year old vehicle, who knows if the engine or heads have been swapped?

• 3 weeks later...

Fel-Pro #MS91075 It is actually a thicker gasket with a better sealing ring. I've never had one blow out and I reuse them all the time.

back from christmas holiday and my Felpro MS91075 had arrived...correct dimensions....

intalled them and is seems they have a slight leak or blowby around the edge...not sure if they need a little bit to seat or seal up but I think thats a little strange.

I only torqued them to 20ft/lbs since that what my Haynes says...I snugged them a little more by hand and the leaks had reduces but I can still feel some leakage...

I'm suspecting warped surface???

i just got my Felpro MS91075 gaskets.

Just wanted to confirm that they are junk.

The paper was delaminating right out of the package.

Had to torque way past specs to get a seal.

While they are thick,

i dont see how anyone could say they're

comparable or superior to Subaru gaskets.

i just got my Felpro MS91075 gaskets.

Just wanted to confirm that they are junk.

The paper was delaminating right out of the package.

Had to torque way past specs to get a seal.

While they are thick,

i dont see how anyone could say they're

comparable or superior to Subaru gaskets.

Then you got a bad set that's been sitting on the shelf a very long time which can happen to anyone. Got 4 different rigs running them and never had a leak. Two of the rigs have had the exhaust off at least a dozen times. And not to burst your bubble, but Fel-Pro happens to be the supplier for a number of auto manufacturers just as Valvoline supplies all of Napa's oil and there are only a few factories in the world that produce anti-freeze and sell to everyone else who just slaps their name on it.

Thicker is better on this style of exhaust gasket as it dissipates heat better reducing the chance of burnout and allows for better compression/crush sealing which is more forgiving for resealing. Can't dispute simple physics. Everyone has their own opinion and this is mine, but I have 10 years and 12 reseals to back it.

As for you still having a leak, you have one or both of two issues. 1) Your exhaust studs are pulling out of the heads and you don't realize it. Common problem fixed by heli-coiling them and using Permatex sleeve locker (green Loctite) on the coils and studs to secure them. This allows you to increase the torque guaranteeing a seal especially if 2) Your exhaust flange on the pipe is warped. You can check them with a straight edge and depending on the amount of warpage and your willingness to work on them, can be leveled with a good flat file.

Well I pulled them off and found that I had not fully cleaned the mating surface on one side for sure...and one of the gaskets had a indentation on the ring from being tightened down on a piece of old gasket...I did not see anything on the other side but wire brushed it clean as well...both sides had been leaking.

Some of the studs were loose too so I tightend all those up first...should I use locktite???...

actually each exhaust port has 4 stud hole but only 2 are used...I'm guessing the heads are interchangable...

One of the unused holes has a broken stud too...but it's almost flush and does not "seem" to interfere with anything...

Put it all back together and now one side (the one with the old gasket stuff) appears to be sealed now.

but the other side still has a leak but that maybe because of the "indented" sealing ring on the gasket...I admit I did not check to see which side that gasket went back onto...But that side is also the one with that broken stud but still don't see where it interferes.

Anyway, I ordered another set of MS91075 gaskets. Some here have said that the gaskets are re-usable but I'm not too sure...

I always buy exhaust gaskets for 1986 gl coupe ea81. When you ask for that at most parts stores the box comes with both sets of gaskets ea81 and ea82. I have a bunch of extra ea82 gaskets that I will never use... Other than that I've bought a sheet of high temp gasket material and traced a new gasket and cut it out.

• 7 months later...

Here i am serving myself some crow to an old thread.

The gasket material id used previously, cant be reused and is prone to fail! I guess the ticking id been hearing gradually getting worse, was my gasket slowly getting blown out bit by bit. When I tore it all down for my trans swap i saw how degraded it had become.

It was a high density material that appeared real similar to the asbestos material the old guys used to use.

It did last a long time, so i guess i cant bitch.

Went to napa and got a reinforced type gasket...i got the closest match they had and had to elongate the mounting holes (from 3.5" to a 3" spread) and after 3 miles they seem to be doing fine!