Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 subaru 2 door hatctback

turbosubarubrat

5 speed cross member welded together

DSCF6869.JPG

Lift blocks braced

DSCF6874.JPG

Engine and trans are in but ended putting them in separate .Put on a new oil filter and put in new oil. I need to get the trans cross member bolted up so i can find out what i need to do for a drive line. The drive line needs to go in so i can fill her will oil to start her up for the first time being ej'd. Still need to put the ea82 fi pump on and upgrade some fuel lines, front brake line extensions, shifter linkage, and a bunch of other stuff.DSCF6871.JPG

Edited by turbosubarubrat

Fuel pump is fitted in and all new fuel lines and vapor lines. Power steering hoses are hooked up too with atf in them.

Here's my new muffler

DSCF6896.JPG

throttle cable was only $8 and has lifetime warranty

DSCF6898.JPG

DSCF6900.JPG

Manged to find a combo of electric fans that will work.

DSCF6903.JPG

DSCF6905.JPG

DSCF6907.JPGDSCF6909.JPG

DSCF6911.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Shifter linkage still needs some work but it works for now.

DSCF6954.JPG

I went to car quest for the coolant hoses and got them using the part numbers Gloyale posted. Was about $20 for the 2 hoses on my account. Now she has new coolant so i can run her longer. Starts up good just loud being straight piped until tomorrow when i finish up the exhaust.

DSCF6966.JPGDSCF6967.JPG

DSCF6969.JPG

Runs and drives. Still need to finish up the brake line extensions to be able to drive it safely. My snap-on metric double flaring tool should come monday. Went to oriley's, car quest, and napa neither of them had a metric one :angry:. I tried a american one but couldn't get a good enough flare because the die was way to small and would bent the brake line side ways. I could of went to my one my buddies shops to make a die on the lathe or turn down one that was to large but chose just to wait and work on other stuff.

DSCF6975.JPG

DSCF6977.JPG

DSCF6979.JPGDSCF6983.JPG

DSCF6985.JPG

DSCF6987.JPG

DSCF6989.JPG

DSCF6992.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really need to switch my pictures to google since facebook isn't working out for hosting. Any way... I pulled the engine and put on a set of heads i had redone with felpro head gaskets since they acted like they were blown(bubbles in radiator). Once that was done it ran okay with a bad tick coming from the drivers side rocker assembly. I even used the cams and rockers that were for the new heads and put it back together exacly the way it was. The other heads were a lot quieter with the originals. Then when it got up to temp and the thermostat kicked open the water would start shooting out the over flow with steam or if i had the cap open it would spit out every couple seconds. When i would shut it off it would shoot 5 feet with the cap off. I'm thinking somethings cracked in my block or i already have a bad head gasket.

Been down that road myself, frustrating as all get out.

I would rule out defective T-stat, water pump, and air pocket first.

Maybe do a leak-down test on all cylinders.

Took out the thermostat today and same problem. Before the engine would start building pressure in the coolant system then would release it when the thermostat would open, but with it out it starts bubbling worse and worse the warmer the engine got (hottest i've let it get is between the middle mark and the mark before hot). So the problem is still there for sure. I let it run for about 20 minutes and the problem was getting worse the longer it was ran. Maybe a crack expanding in the block? Pump definitely works since you can see water cycling through the top of the radiator.  Bought a new water pump with lifetime warranty yesterday day for another ej22 i have unless i can't find ej25d block that needs head gaskets for cheap then i'll put it on that for good measure. Everyone i've talked to hasn't heard of anything like it.

Heres a link to my facebook album until i have a chance to download everything to google https://www.facebook.com/forest.chatelain/media_set?set=a.402548506546960.1073741837.100003754435547&type=1&pnref=story.

11265037_640796942722114_732541974753838

• 1 month later...

Currently the engine is out and torn apart. Another ej22 i have is out of the white legacy that i also tore apart and i'm currently resealing that one. It's prepped and ready to have the redone heads put on then put back in.

DSCF7096.JPG

DSCF7097.JPG

DSCF7098.JPG

DSCF7099.JPG

DSCF7101.JPG

DSCF7102.JPG

DSCF7103.JPG

Old cracked block

DSCF7116.JPG

Vlsd, Clsd, and welded

DSCF7151.JPG

DSCF7153.JPG

Swapped in the Clsd carrier so now i have a 3.9 clsd in the rear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What i did on tuesday

Chiseled/cut out the jack holder

DSCF7199.JPG

DSCF7201.JPG

DSCF7202.JPG

DSCF7203.JPG

Today

DSCF7205.JPG

DSCF7208.JPG

Built so i can upgrade to a deep cycle truck battery after this cheap parts car battery craps out.

DSCF7210.JPG

Only wiring left in the bay is for the transmission 

DSCF7212.JPG

All the gauges are wired up now and the wiring is tucked up(forgot to take a picture for that)

DSCF7216.JPG

DSCF7218.JPG