Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy L will crank but not start after airbag deployed

I have a 97 Subaru Legacy L 2.2 automatic that my son introduced to a tree. The airbags deployed and and damage was limited to the car. I have pulled out radiator & removed hood plus most of bumper & grill. The timing belt cover was broken on driver’s side but seems good otherwise.

The main problem is The car will crank but will not start. I am not sure where to start looking to nail down where the problem might be. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'd def start with the basics. You need gas, spark, and compression to start it. One is missing from the equation.

I DO NOT know if your model has a fuel pump shut off. I know my mustang for instance has a shut off that if the car senses impact it will kick the fuel cut off to stop fuel flow. Someone who better knows your car can weigh in on that.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned on? If not start there. If so, do you have spark at all cylinders?

Some one more surbaru knowledgeable will weigh in, but check the basics first. Fuel and spark, then you can investigate further accordingly.

Paul

Check the Crank and Cam sensors on the front of engine for damage.

I would suspect if the timing cover is broken it's very possible the belt broke or skipped.....and 97 is interference engine so I'd actually remvoe the covers and check that the belt is in time before cranking it over any more.  Don't want to bend the valves.

There should not be any type of fuel cutoff.  If anything just disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset.  The no start is probably from the sensors or belt.

• Like 1

Check the Crank and Cam sensors on the front of engine for damage.

There should not be any type of fuel cutoff. If anything just disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset. The no start is probably from the sensors or belt.

I thought that too after I posted. If the DS cover was broken, that's very close to the cam sensor. Checking if its fuel or spark will tell us a lot more. Def check the belt and timing before cranking anymore! Or your valves could be introduced to your pistons!!

Edited by subenoob

The belt in intact but have not been able to check it yet to see if it skipped. (the belt looks to be un damaged) I will pull the rest of the covers & make sure it is all aligned properly

Where/how would I check the sensors?

Thanks

Bob

Edited by azrael

+1 i've repaired a few subaru's from this vintage from wrecks/airbags and in no way will the air bag system cause a no-start.

it's purely mechanical and engine related.  i'd guess too the timing belt skipped or the cam sensor was damaged.

FSM should have spec's for testing the sensor circuit.  though i would just pull it out and look at it.  if it's compromised i think you'll know.  i can't imagine it being compromised without visible damage.  i'll send you a used crank and cam sensor for $8 if you want to swap it out.

• Like 2

It is really easy to check these sensors if the car will crank. The haynes manual  goes into the pattern of the pulses but all you need is a analog multi meter (you can use digital but a needled has its uses). I vote for a mechanical problem. When the engine suddenly stops for some reason other then the normal shutting off of the ignition, it will make the TB jump.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I have finally been able to test & swap out Crank & Cam sensors. Car still will not turn over.

Have pulled timing belt covers but not seeing any timing belt damage. How would I tell if it jumped?

Thanks

• 1 month later...