Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cam tower o-rings

I've read on this forum several times that the genuine Subaru cam tower o-rings on the Loyales was metal reinforced or something?

I just got a pair that I ordered using a part number that I got on the forum here and they cam in little sealed bags that seem to be genuine Subaru o-rings but they have no metal. They are entirely rubber and they came from Subaru Parts Warehouse.

Did I get scammed? Maybe they no longer make them with the metal? Maybe I misunderstood all along what they should look like.

Mine is a '91 and the o-rings that cam out were all rubber (brittle but rubber).

hi,

++ what tom said,,  they are not metal,, folks say that because they seem hard and almost seem to be.  they are rubber covered and some type stiff material, they do not deform shape under pressure of compression when the case is tourqued onto the head, and the rubber forms a seal for the oil.   they should look more like a rubber coated washer than an o-ring ,  and be pretty stiff.   if you use standard rubber orings they squish and block the oil hole.   i only wish they had done something like this and as well as this for the mickey mouse gasket on the oil pump.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

Just bringing an old post back to life as I am unable to get hold of these seals in the UK for a number of weeks.

Does anyone have any on here they would be prepared to sell?

I'd like to get this engine back together and back in the car before I forget where everything goes.

Many thanks.