Ultimate Subaru Message Board

poor performance, lag, mpg, hesitates, surges... HELP!

Bought a 2000 legacy outback, w/ ovr 300k on it, last fall, ran good for about a month, then the problems started...

1.The MPG started to go down hill. Excess fuel consumption, can smell fuel/ exhaust inside the cabin. unburned fuel?

2.Hold the gas pedal steady and it surges then drops. dont drive it on the interstate as it cant keep the highway speeds due to the surges.

I almost want to go out and shoot this car cause i haven't figured it out yet.

HELP......

the kids say the symptoms start after it warms up.

the previous owner related that the engine was rebuilt around 250k. due to oil leak / heads.

they didnt say when any O2 sensor, plugs or other items were changed out, but I chnged out plugs and filters when i got it.

maybe when putitng back together, they messed up the vac lines?

I still cant explain the gas smell in the cabin/ through the vents when the car is running.

Probably needs a front O2 sensor.

Check the filler tube in the right rear wheel well for rust. There is a plastic cover over the tube which will need to be removed. The plastic cover traps dirt and moisture and causes the filler to rust and develop pinholes.

Also check the fuel hoses under the hood that go to the fuel filter.

Sounds like leaking fuel hose. You're losing pressure somewhere between the pump and the injectors...

Pull the cover off the fuel pump and make sure previous owner didn't botch fuel pump install. Even leaky hoses under the hood don't usually cause gas odor in the cabin...

• 5 months later...

Had similar issue, found a bad plug wire, replaced wires because i was running on three cylinders. Still getting evap code p0440 with strange odor in cabin. When i disconnect battery to clear CEL code car runs great for 2 or 3 days, light goes back on and runs bad again, strange smell is constant.

Had similar issue, found a bad plug wire, replaced wires because i was running on three cylinders. Still getting evap code p0440 with strange odor in cabin. When i disconnect battery to clear CEL code car runs great for 2 or 3 days, light goes back on and runs bad again, strange smell is constant.

Check the actual evap canister for damage/cracking and the hoses going to it. Confirm the plastic check valve in the hose feeding the canister still works (simple check valve like a PCV valve). Inspect your PCV hoses are indeed connected. Inspect all air hoses and vacuum lines are connected and not broken as well. Just because a vacuum line "looks OK" doesn't mean it is, especially in older cars as the rubber hardens in one spot, but will be soft everywhere else. Guess where it'll crack and not be visble? (I just found one on mine that was still attached, but it was split on the hardened "L" bend- a visual only never would have caught it) For $7, buy 6' of vacuum line and replace them as preventative maintenance while looking for the loose hose. I vent my valve cover to atmosphere in my Saab as I haven't welded a bung to a custom turbo intake tube yet, which causes the smell to enter the cabin. It's a rather unique odor that doesn't smell like a normal engine odor i.e. burnt oil, raw gas, coolant, trans fluid, etc. Sorta reminds me of what a smoky tar pit probably smells like. Worth checking out as you might actually have 2 issues at once.

I'd go through and do all that, hard reset the battery cable to clear the codes, then drive 50 miles and see if the code trips up again. If you weren't getting the cabin odor, I'd suggest replacing the gas cap (you still can) as that's part of the evap system. When you fill the gas tank up and remove the gas cap, do you hear the "whoosh" sound? Also, when the gas filler nozzle is inserted, does it shut off constantly? Forcing you to pull the nozzle handle again to restart the gas pump? No "whoosh" and the pump constantly stopping are all symptoms of a faulty evap system. The gas cap needs to hold vacuum in the tank, but it could also be the evap canister, or both could be leaking. Simple stuff to sort out.

Edited by Bushwick

Filler tube is probably rusted out. Very common, and allows liquid fuel to escape the tank which causes a substantial amount of fuel vapor to drift under the car and come up into the cabin.

Filler tube is probably rusted out. Very common, and allows liquid fuel to escape the tank which causes a substantial amount of fuel vapor to drift under the car and come up into the cabin.

Sounds more like the engine isn't purging the fumes the way it should. A rotten filler neck would be constant and wreak of gas and is distinguishable from emissions fumes. His is happening after x-amount of time after a reset, which seems to point to the actual evap canister, it's valve, a broken hose, etc. i.e. something that gets activated after certain engine parameters are reached.

Edited by Bushwick

evap Canister Seems to be ok, I'll check the house with in line valve, pcv valve hose is on tight. I'll probably replace all the vacuum hose i can to eliminate any issues. I do have a new gas cap, not oem, no whoosh sound, no shut off problems when refueling. Gas filter tube is rusted and probably needs replacement. I definitely think there's something with the evap canister or in line valve. When you're outside the car you can smell/taste exhaust. I also have brake booster issue,could this tie into evap problem, tested booster, not airtight.

Your gas tank should be under vacuum. The "whoosh" you should hear at the pump is air entering the gas tank. The immediate fuel vapors you smell being released every time the gas cap is removed, is what the evap system is supposed to be pulling into the charcoal canister, then under certain circumstances, pulling that into the combustion chamber so it's gets burnt off rather than being allowed to escape into the atmosphere. If the vapor fume concentration gets REALLY high in the tank, it'll pour out the gas filler opening. This is what shuts the pump off, as the nozzles have a detection device to detect the vapors being forced out, and is how automatic pumps work. On really hot days, when warnings go out, this is the vapors they are talking about. Sounds like your evap system isn't holding vacuum. When you reset your codes, the ECM is starting from a day 1 scenario (I believe) where it should be "thinking" there is no vacuum in the tank, so it goes through whatever parameters Subaru has set up on how long it should run before trying to burn off the stored fumes in the canister. Once it's ready to do so, I believe (in your situation) it's not detecting the correct vacuum or vapor presence (unsure exactly what yours is checking), and it's throwing the code. You definitely sound as though you have an air leak somewhere. Read this for a quick understanding on evap systems and their functions:

http://www.greatautohelp.com/operation/EVAP-System-Codes-Tests.html

A brake booster canister is essentially a large vacuum can with a check valve feeding into it, with a diaphragm inside that's manipulated when you press you brake pedal. Not sure how you determined it's not "working" correctly, but the canister itself should be air tight. The rubber grommet the check valve feeds into shouldn't be dry rotted (or missing). And the actual hose feeding the check valve shouldn't be leaking either. Can use sprays to detect leaks on vacuum hoses. If the engine surges, you found the leak. Test leaks on a cool engine to prevent flash fires and don't use heavy oil products that can sit or soak and cause fires. Also, moving the vacuum hoses/lines while spraying is better as you might have a small crack or leak that's not evident if the hose is in it's natural, hardened position as it can seal minor leaks. Any hoses after 10 years or so typically need replaced anyways, so dropping $10 on new vacuum lines is smarter than ignoring them as vacuum leaks can lean out the AF mixture which isn't good. They can also let minute amounts of dirt enter the engine.

Evap issues can cause all sort of drivability problems, but the car can at least still run. If you have emissions testing in your state, it'll most likely fail the inspection. I was surprised my check valve was seized up as it didn't throw ANY codes and never would have known had it not been physically checked. But at least the idle is more stable in gear at a stop light and isn't surging or dropping below 500 rpm now.

Also, check the rubber hose that runs just below the gas filler tube to see if it's ripped (look under the car, you should see it running off the actual filler tube). 

Edited by Bushwick

Filler neck.

There's an exhaust pipe that runs under the tank. When the car has been running a while the fuel in the tank warms up befause of heat from the exhaust system. The heat causes the fuel to evaporate, and the fumes to somewhere. If the tank is sealed vapors would normally be directed into the evap canister. If there is ANY small leak in the hoses or anywhere else, fuel vapor will be pushed out of there rather than going through the canister.

The filler neck is the prime place for fuel vapors to escape. Yank the plastic cover off the filler tube and you'll likely find that it looks like Swiss cheese.

• Like 2

One other thing with the brake booster grommet that seals the check valve. Be careful with the grommet if you try removing it for a thorough inspection and/or replace. It's possible the new/old one can get pushed into the canister when trying to reseat against the lip. If that happens, it'll be a PITA to get it back out. A fish hook bonded to a magnetic wand might be enough to lift it to the hole where needle nose pliers could grab. Also, if the grommet is rotted on the inside, it'll shed it's debris in the canister which can be problematic as well. If you replace the main vacuum hose going to the booster from the engine, make SURE it can handle several BAR as a flimsy hose won't cut it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for giving wrong info on the grommet. Never looked closely at mine, and it actually has a metal tube welded on, as opposed to say Ford stuff that had a rubber grommet over the hole in the canister, which the check valve resides in. Glad to hear your brakes are at least working with a new check valve though. $30 is pretty steep, but it's worth it to have a solid pedal.

The purge cylinoid will only open and allow the fumes to be sucked out of the tank when the car is travailing at a steady even pace for an extended period of time like driving down the highway.

Now as for your problem, I think fairtax is right, the fuel filler neck IS a common issue in these cars and is not hard to pull the cover over it and inspect it, that would be the next step in my opinion

Well, i replaced filler neck, found one in great condition at junk yard for $15, going to clean it up and put rubberized spray on it. Then I'll put plastic cover on. Car runs much better, on 5th day without check engine light on. Still getting an slight exhaust smell in cabin. Wondering if i have an exhaust leak. Thank you for all your advice on this guys.