Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Radiator

Hello all.    So, I'm a bit confused on my plan to rebuild the 85 Hatchback.   Story is, the elk did some major damage up front.    Radiator is toast and the carb is busted off the intake manifold.

So, I would like to go with a Weber.    Question is, should I get the 32/36 DGVE (with electric choke)?  And if I do, should I swap in an EA82 intake manifold?   Do I need the adaptor plate also?    Or is there a Weber that will direct fit the EA81?

Then, I read about putting lower rad hose from the EA82 to fit the new intake thermostat housing.    So should I get a new EA81 radiator.    Or will an EA82 radiator fit the Hatchback?

Anyone had good luck with the RockAuto Spectra Premium radiators?   Part #s?

Thanks for your input.   Wish there were some Soobie Nuts around Tillamook.

I'll try to post some pics this weekend.  Sorry about all the questions... but I find myself just staring at the carnage... with no solutions.

1: Yes on the weber.

2: No need for the EA82 intake.

3: You will still need the adaptor plate.

4: No idea on the rockauto radiator or using the EA82 radiator.

Gloyale would know better than I would. That dude has forgotten more than i'll ever know about old subies.

1. Yes to the Weber, just go to retroroo.com, Shawn W can hook you up.

2. You can swap on an EA82 intake for more airflow, but you need to be wary of the clearances around your t-stat housing and the disty.

3. Adapter plate is a requirement

4. If you wish to use the factory mounts and not fight with 3 different radiator designs, I suggest sticking with an EA81 rad. They're easily obtained, and you can get the factory number from Napa, as they carry Spectra radiators.

Twitch

PS: Yes, Jonas said it first, but I thought I'd reiterate.

Weber adapter has to match intake manifold.

Stick with the EA81 radiator.

They are 2-core and have the fittings for the auto trans cooling lines, basically a one size fits all.

The EA82 radiator will fit, but the mounting points are different, so you would have to make it fit. Move lower pin-mount holes, move upper mounting bolt holes.

On my trike (EA81) I'm getting a rebore total rebuild. Am going to use the SPFI manifold about 6mm larger in diameter.  I decided not to go for the 32/36 weber as I found with my auto trans it was a little sluggish. So a weber 38/38 synchronic carb will be used. A little more thirsty but great acceleration from low revs I've been told.

The coolant tube from the thermostat housing to the top of the block I bent some small copper tube to go around the dizzy, connect with rubber tube both ends.

Remember with the SPFI and maybe the EA82 manifold you need to grind away about 2mm off the top of the block of the EA81 so gain clearance.

Thanks everyone.    I took pics this weekend.... now just need to figure out how to post them.

I got the hood off (no easy task) and the radiator unwrapped from the crank pulley.  Bumper removed.     I should be able to beat the front clip back into shape to receive the stock EA81 radiator.

Gloyale says he loves the Hitachie carb -   wonder if he has some time to look at the broken base plate and help remove all the vacuum mess to simplify the operation?

The Hatch will be a convertible (open roof, really).    Probably figure out a way to fabric over the engine compartment - like some snowmobiles are.   
And finally, a poly-carbonate windshield - half size.      I can really see the value of this Hatchie going up ..... Ha!