Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 legacy outback transmission

it seems like i fixed the shifting problem in my legacy. I ended up draining the fluid out of the pan and was going to drop pan to check the wiring for the selenoid. When draining it the fluid looked like black motor oil real thick, so instead of dropping the pan i just changed the 5 quarts i removed after 2 days must be the new detergents in the new fluid must have done something because its been shifting ever since. my question is I've already changed the fluid 1 time since it was a brownish red color should I do it 1 more time or should i just leave it alone seeing that it's running fine? Another question is it's running around 2500 rpm at 60 mph does that sound about right?

Don't recommend dropping the pan on your 98 with A/T. There is nothing to be gained by doing so, and could cause problems. I did that only once, to find myself grinding off remnants of the old gasket. Then, the new gasket wanted to leak a little.

Good advise above. Drain and fill 3 times to get old fluid out, as only about half can be drained out. The remainder stays in the torque converter. Drive a few miles between drain and fills to mix old and new tranny fluid before draining again.

• Like 1

i changed it the first time with about 500 miles on it was thinking about doing it again at 1000 miles on this one. one other question is there a chance of this ruining my tranny ? this is comming from warnings from guys that screwed up the transmission by doing this in older cars

Changing fluid won't damage your tranny, only make it operate better.  Why wait to change at 1,000 miles?? Change the fluid when ever you can find the time to do so.

• Like 2

the trans holds abot 10 qts. of fliud.

doing a drain and fill removes about 3.5 qts.

so doing it 3 times is WAY WAY better than doing it only once.

but each time you drain you are removing some of the new fluid,

so the more times you do it the less old fluid you remove.

do it 3 times now,

and then at least once a year after that.

twice a year would be better.

Edited by johnceggleston

having the car on ramps we got 5 qts. each change so i figured on doing one more . i was just worried about the detergents in the new fluid causing any of the old sediment that is in there to plug up the valve body ports. Was told it was a bad idea to do this by half the guys i talked to and the other half said it shouldn't be a problem , i guess time will tell. thanks for the all the imput on the topic 

Edited by gunther4272001