Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just recently purchases a 2004 Outback with a 2.5 engine that has 176,000 miles on it.  It had leaking head gaskets on it  and I pulled the motor and replaced them.  All went well.  Everything worked good for about 2 weeks and today the engine light came on.  I took it to the local parts store and the code it was reporting is P1518 which is something to do with the starter Interlock relay.  Later on today I was driving it again and it completely died while moving down the road.  It acted like It ran out of gas.  I knew it had plenty of fuel but to be sure I put 5 gallons in it.  It acts like it wants to start but still seems to be starving for fuel.  The fuel gage before the incident showed more than half a tank.  After the incident the fuel gage would not read at all. Even after I added 5 more gallons.  Any ideas?  It sounds like an electrical problem of some kind to me?

this sound slike what happened to my mom with her 03 outback check this video out at the 9 minute 43 second mark. the metal cap he unscrews was not seated on my moms pump causing this issue for her after reseating the cap the car ran. it could also be the o-ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXH1A9sHt6M

Edited by sirtokesalot

Why not just pull the fuel line at the filter and see if gas flows?

gas can still flow if that o-ring fails gas was still flowing with my moms subaru however it couldn't build enough fuel pressure to run due tot he o-ring in the pump releasing most of the pressure back into the tank.

I found the problem.  When I pulled the motor to replace the head gaskets I left I wire coming from the wire harness to the intake manifold finger tight.  As I would drive it would lose connection.  The tach would go crazy as well as the fuel gage and the temp gage.  I think it was also breaking connection to the fuel pump.  Anyway when I tightened it the engine light quit coming on and everything went back to normal.  Thanks for everyones replies.  This is a great Suby forum.