Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird part and it cracked during removal

Hello all, I have an 87 Subaru wagon gl non turbo. It started overheating and steaming and I found what looks like a drain plug mid way up the radiator. It clearly was the issue but when I tried to remove it the top just fell off. It clearly was sheared somehow or just broke. I can't find what the part name is. It doesn't make sense to be the drain for the radiator because its half way up on the left hand side, if facing the car. I've attached two pics of where it was and the severed top. Any help would be awesome on how to get the remaining piece out and what replacement I'll need. I have a Chilton and Haines and couldn't find it so far.

The piece https://www.dropbox.....28.56.jpg?dl=0

The spot it goes..if you zoom in you can see the white where it attached. https://www.dropbox.....19.01.jpg?dl=0

Well I can't see the picture, but from the way you desctibe the location of the part it sounds like the fan control switch

I don't even see a fan control switch listed in the diagram. I've read a few threads that sound familiar but they all just replaced it with a metal bolt

If you have an electric fan mounted to the radiator the thermoswitch would go there. With a new radiator it would usually come with a plug there. Do you have an electric fan? Or just the one mounted to the water pump? Should have both if your car has AC. I've removed mine off the w pump and now only rely on the electric. Mainly so I have one less thing to remove to mess with the timing belt.

This whole car feels Frankenstein... While I like that aspect, I'm learning a lot about cars through this. No one can tell if its carbureted or a fuel injected throttle body. The stovepipe I ordered won't fit the car has 2 timing belts...I just really hope the 4x4 was used very little. I love a manual with 4 high and low that is this small.

87 should be SPFI.  My 87 is anyway.  My 86 was carby.  Does it have a rectangular air cleaner in a box on the passenger side fender, with MAF, and rubber duct over to the throttle body, or an odd oval shaped air cleaner over the carb & engine?

• Like 1

87 should be SPFI. My 87 is anyway. My 86 was carby. Does it have a rectangular air cleaner in a box on the passenger side fender, with MAF, and rubber duct over to the throttle body, or an odd oval shaped air cleaner over the carb & engine?

Its oval shaped.

Take a junk flat-blade screwdriver and heat the end of it with a torch, then jam it into the broken piece. May have to reheat the screwdriver again to get it to go deep enough.

Once you figure it's good, let things cool down, then just turn the broken piece out.

• Like 1

87 should be SPFI.  My 87 is anyway.  My 86 was carby.  Does it have a rectangular air cleaner in a box on the passenger side fender, with MAF, and rubber duct over to the throttle body, or an odd oval shaped air cleaner over the carb & engine?

NO

87 4wd Fedral models are all Carbed

87 only 2wd or Cali 4wd are SPFI

88+ are all SPFI