Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Gl-10 not starting randomly

Hi,

Ive had an 86 Gl-10 turbo for about 4 months.  I've had an issue with the car not starting just about every month.  The first time i replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor didnt start so i had it towed to a mechanic. Of course it started right up for them.  I drove it around for a month thinking it was fixed and it happened again.  This time i took the fuel injectors off and sprayed them all out with carb cleaner and it fired right up.  Drove it for another month and it happened again brought it to a subaru machanic and it started right up for them.  Each time this has happened it has almost started but just kind of putters out.  The car turns over, fuel pump is coming on and all electrically seems to be working.  I thought that there could be a bunch of rust and build up in the fuel tank and the might cause the fuel injectors to clog.  But wouldnt the fuel filter block that?  i dont know, please let me know what you guys think.  Thank you very much

Just keep a subaru mechanic locked in the trunk of your car, it will never act up again.     Well that might get you arrested , plus the cost of feeding him, ect...      Instead you could try putting in a new fuel filter and run 93 octaine for a while to see if that improves things.

next time it happens, try tapping the fue...get the subaru mechanic in your boot to tap the fuel pump while you try cranking engine over. If that works fuel pump may be the culprit - they do die a slow death in these EA82 mpfi systems

Hello Wolverine18,

I have a 1992 Loyale that exibited similar symptoms. My car would run for a while then sputter and die. The car did turn on after about 15 minutes initially. As time went by, the car would die sooner and it would take longer to restart. My fuel pump was working and I had power going to the coil and distributor. I did not have spark at the plugs though. My problem turned out to be a bad pick-up in the distributor. I replaced the distributor and I've had no further problems.