Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza cruise control computer?

I have a 95 Impreza L wagon that I have added cruise control to. It's an EJ18/5spd. But I haven't been able to get it to work and I'm not really sure where to start. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the cruise computer is specific to the model and/or trans (manual vs auto). I have tried a couple different computers. With the first one, I would press the cruise button on the dash and the orange light would turn on, but no response when trying to actually set the cruise. I tried another computer, and the orange light wouldn't even turn on. Is it possible I have the wrong computer?

Hi,

Just to cover our bases...you've installed ALL the CC components, correct?

- Need actuator, computer, dash button,  brake switch and clutch switch

Yes...I 'think' the CC computer is specific to the transmission. It was on some older Legacys.

And your '95 is the oddball*..It's an OBD1 - not OBD2 / OBDII - so it should work w/the '93-'95 5-speed version.

GL,

TD

*The '95 AUTOMATiCs had a 2.2 and were OBD2, per cars101.com.

Yeah I've installed the whole system, but I guess there's always the possibility that I got a bad actuator or switch or something. These were all junkyard parts...So what I'm hearing is that I really should get a computer from a 93-95 impreza with a manual transmission, is that right? It couldn't be from a 95 legacy with a manual transmission? Aren't those both the 5MT?

Edited by wakingtowinter

Hi (jacker) :)

The only part that i think 'cares' is the computer, so that's the unknown link in these scenarios:

- MT vs. AT

- OBD1 vs. OBD2

- Legacy vs. Impreza

For future reference, attached is a pic of a Impeza CC. It has 'AT' on the label,  so I'm 99% sure that it must @ least match the trans. ....THIS LISTING on ebay shows the same part for '93-'95...but Ebait isn't fool-proof.

My only direct experience is when I did a 5-speed swap into a '90 Legacy. I had to change the CC computer. ......

Tangent: Before I did the 5-speed swap, I'd als done a turbo swap and the CC worked fine w/both an EJ22T ECU and EJ20G ECU....so my guess is the TCM 'talks' to the CC computer, too.

post-3804-0-19823100-1432856458_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

Yeah I've installed the whole system, but I guess there's always the possibility that I got a bad actuator or switch or something. These were all junkyard parts...So what I'm hearing is that I really should get a computer from a 93-95 impreza with a manual transmission, is that right? It couldn't be from a 95 legacy with a manual transmission? Aren't those both the 5MT?

Just remembered that my dash button never lit up either...it was burned out....so that's not going to be necessarily a good 'indicator'.

Td

Seems like the only way to at least eliminate the computer as the problem is to try one out of a 93-95 impreza with manual trans. although I'd definitely try a computer from a manual first gen legacy if I got my hands on one. will have to see what I can dig up at the JY