Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT taillight lenses, anywhere?

Hi, new member and new '86 BRAT owner here. The car is pretty beat up and I've been going through cleaning and replacing things with mostly no trouble so far, but I've got a problem. Both of the taillight lenses are busted up and I can't find anywhere to get new ones. Is there anywhere to order or is it just junkyards or someone with BRAT they're parting out? I'm in interior Alaska and the scrapyard pickings are pretty slim...

I bought a new assembly tail light from a dealer on the west coast in 2001. The other side had to be ordered from Japan. They had searched dealer stock all over the US and only one side could be found. This was the complete tail light assembly. Replacing the lens you will find the rubber gasket smashed pretty flat. Tighten up enough to keep water out will cause an old lenses to crack. I think I was set back about $240.00 with shipping for the pair. If you get a set of lenses try to see if you can sort out some kind of replacement gasket. Otherwise you will most likely have leaks or cracked lenses.

• Like 1

The right hand side is still available here http://www.subaru-parts-dealer.com/ for $97 and the lens for both the left and the right. I ordered the lenses last year and thy had both in stock. If your housing is in good shape it is easy to change the lens but you will need to make your own seal if yours is bad (I used foam door seal).

Edited by silverhelme

• 2 weeks later...

and whats crazy about it?

I called both about lenses for my 82 and was told by both no longer available.

Less then 6 months ago it was not a problem, they did have it shipped over from Japan, so maybe that was one of the last available.

If I can ever get the dingus to call me back, I plan to have an 83 to part out, both rear lenses were good on it.

Dinky,

sorry, hope you dint take that the wrong way. New here on this subie forum and surely not trying to ruffle any feathers.

I actually placed an order for the items on Sub parts dealer, the order was rejected so I called and talked. I was told that they did still have a few in stock a few months back, but that the parts page had never been updated when they went out.

I then called the subpartsdepot and was told basically the same thing.

KEEP me in mind when you part out that 83. Ive got some feelers out on some other sources, but it aint looking to promising. I need both a Right rear lense, and a right front turn lense.

Thanks, MIke

Hey, no problem here, I was just saying crazy in the aspect of I figured there would be more, guess everything comes to an end.

No looking real promising on the 83, have yet to hear anything from the guy. Keep hoping though.

Dunno why.....but you can always manage to find the left hand side ones, but rarely the right.

I guess that right rear corner must be a blind spot on these things? Havent driven this one enough yet to know if it is or isnt.

Edited by mkc1962

• 5 years later...