Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise upon deceleration 86 GL Wagon.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 86 GL Wagon from a CL ad. Took it for a spin today and most everything seemed fine except for when I took my foot off gas pedal there was a metallic grinding noise. It went away as soon as accelerated again. 5 speed tranny.

Am I getting myself into some major repairs or is this a relatively common issue. I know in newer wrx and sti subbies this issue sometimes happens when non oem flywheels are installed.

Only other problem with the rig is brakes don't work and the owner passed away and his son has no paperwork or idea on maintenance. I plan on replacing brakes and doing timing belts if I purchase it, not really looking into replacing transmission if that's where my problems coming from.

Thanks

When you decel you are putting more strain on the differential(s) and the gears in the transmission than accell so that's likely the area where the problem exists. If the price is right and it runs well id do it. But I'm not opposed to ripping out a diff or tranny to swap in a new lol

Price isn't right for that kinda work. I'm a bit of a grease monkey, fine with timing belts and most normal repairs but haven't replaced a tranny in anything before. The wagons in prime shape with low miles. Shifts fine and engine feels good just that grinding noise is making me real hesitant. Son is selling it for his deceased father, he doesn't know much about its history or cars in general it seems.

I'm in upstate NY older subbies aren't to common. Any ideas on how much a tranny plus shipping might cost? I doubt my local yard is going to have one. I do have a friend who could help me work on replacing the tranny.

I was hoping this was a more common issue with some simpler fixes to examine first. Obviously it's nearly impossible to diagnose problem from my description of it.

Thanks

Doesn't sound like a heat shield. More like a tightly packed can of change shaking. I'm going to make a fair offer and hopefully tow it home this weekend. I'll be searching the forum and picking yr brains I'm sure.

Dave I'll be in touch. I'm in Columbia County NY not far from western CT or any part of CT for that matter. Thanks