Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to buy aftermarket plastic 'retainer tabs'?

Hi all,

Not sure what they're called and can't find any threads on USMB.  But I'm talking about those plastic, Christmas-tree-looking pins that expand and hold the plastic shield in place in front of the vehicle under the radiator.

The stealership wants something like $3 or $4 each!  Don'g mean to sound cheap...it's only a couple bucks, and only 3 are needed, but it feels like such a rip-off!

Went to a couple big box stores this morning.  They had ones for Ford, GM, and Toyota (container of about 8 for $6.00).  None for Subaru.  Took a guess and it was too small. Tried using zip-ties, but that did not work out b/c some areas had nothing to wrap it around.

Anyone know the sizing (or where I can look it up) of these retaining pins and/or where I can get some?

Thanks,

Pasta

I have used the cable ties to secure the plastic flap. Where no hole was available, I used a drill to make a hole for the cable tie to fit through. Worked out great. I figuerd it took too much time, and trouble to find the correct plastic Christmas tree fastners, when only a few were needed.

My Autozone has a lot,but none labeled for Subaru. Will keep looking at some of the other area stores mentioned above. Maybe I'll take one of the "tabs/clips/captive nuts" there and try to match that way.  Thanks for the tips, everyone.  Hopefully the post helps others, too.

If you actually ask for a Subaru part for these things they quite possibly will never find it.  Most of them are generic or generic enough that they will fit multiple vehicles for a multiple of purposes.

Taking one in and showing it to the counter person or matching it to one on the rack is the easiest way to go.  I have found that whenever I need a strange part to take one with me even if it is broken and ask them if they can find me a match.