Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 DL wagon, trouble with cooling fan - engine overheating

philr

Hi Subi folk,

I have an issue or two with my old DL wagon. And hope someone can help me sort it out.  She is currently unregistered, and probably unroadworthy.

Firstly

my old 1990 DL wagon is overheating. It has an electric fan linked to a temperature switch in the radiator

The fan works fine when connected directly to the battery.

The temperature switch seems fine. -I thought it might be faulty so swapped it over with a spare. still no joy so then tested the original one in a kettle of boiling water and it tested fine for continuity at temp. So I figured that wasn't the problem.

I tested continuity of wires from the fan to the fuse box - checked out ok.

And there is 12+  volts at the fuse box

The fuse is not blown. 

I'm not sure how to check the other bits of the wiring -   I have a manual for an 1986 model, which shows the fan and radio sharing a fuse but not the 1990 model which has a separate fuse for the fan

I am new to auto electrics, and did some youtube tutorials on how to use a multi meter - but I'm not super sure I have done it correctly.

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks Phil

But if you want it to come on / off as it Should, and elongate the fan's lifespan, you can check the wiring for the Thermoswitch, searching for corrosion, because it takes the Ground signal from a place around the frame rail... maybe it only needs a good cleanup of the contact bolt, or put the ground to another, cleaner bolt.

Kind Regards.

I don't know if this has already been checked or not, but I had a problem with my 86 XT GL overheating and could not figure it out.  Finally took it to the shop and they told me that the radiator was congested/constricted about 90%, so had to be swapped out - could not be flushed out.  Not sure if you already checked down that road or not.