Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 distributor interchange.

Rust

Has anyone been able to modify a later screw on cap, to an early snap on cap.  

Or does anyone know the part # for the early ea82 snap on cap, and screw on rotor.

when I order a replacement from they keep sending a ea81 cap.

Also can a later 1988-1994 complete distributor, swap into an early 1985-1987 ea82. 

My 1985 1800 Subaru "For U.S.A" parts book only has part numbers for the whole distributor assembly and not separate numbers for cap, rotor, etc.  The book lists 6 different distributor part numbers for 1985 and they all start out with 22100.  Sorry can't help you more about the 88/94 to 85/87 interchange questions.  

Remember that 2WD (FWD) Carburated EA82 had the "Nippon-Denso" Distributor with the snap-on cap style, while the 4WD (AWD) Carbureted EA82 had the "Hitachi" Distributor; as far as I know, the Nippon Denso units had a faster acceleration advance curve than the Hitachi counterparts, and parts are Not interchangeabe between Hitachi and Nippon Denso; however, you can swap entire distributors easily.

Here are some Photos of the Nippon Denso Distributor: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129601-how-to-easily-test-an-ignition-module/

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Remember that 2WD (FWD) Carburated EA82 had the "Nippon-Denso" Distributor with the snap-on cap style, while the 4WD (AWD) Carbureted EA82 had the "Hitachi" Distributor; as far as I know, the Nippon Denso units had a faster acceleration advance curve than the Hitachi counterparts, and parts are Not interchangeabe between Hitachi and Nippon Denso; however, you can swap entire distributors easily.

Here are some Photos of the Nippon Denso Distributor: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129601-how-to-easily-test-an-ignition-module/

Kind Regards.

I do believe the distributors are interchangeable the coils themselves are not IE a Nippon Denso with the proper coil and a Hitachi with it's respective coil are interchangeable. 

This is a SPFI ea82  (no carb).  AKA  Crank Angle Sensor System

So I'm guessing the early ones had a clip on cap and a screw on rotor. 1985-1988 ???

and the later ones had a screw on cap and a clip(press on) on rotor.  1988-1994 ????

looks like I will have to go directly to an autoparts store to get the correct cap, or just swap distributors.