Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So the 09 outback was totaled ando i had to put my 94 legacy parts car on the road for mama.

It is pretty beat up so i started looking for something else

I picked up a 92 legacy that i was told has a bad fuel pump.

I tried to start it when i got it home with no luck. so heres what i have done

first was to check if the pump primed up. turned the key to on position and heard it prime up. pulled the line and verified by watching fuel come out.

next was to pull the plugs. all plugs were wet with fuel. 

changed plugs and no luck starting.

next was to check the timing belt which was cracked along the top and the right side cam was off one tooth.

timing belt was replaced

checked for compression and each cylinder has about 150 psi cold.

now the engine tries to start once in a while and backfires through throttle body.

it would seem that it was a firing order or timing problem but i have gone over all specifications and all is in order. I ran the fuel pump directly while trying to start and it seemed to want to start but then no luck.

the fuel pump seems to work and have pressure but i am curios how much pressure difference would effect the ability to start.

any input is appreciated.

Plugs are wet so that means fuel is reaching the cylinders. Need to check for spark. If there is spark, just about has to be a timing belt problem. There are plenty of good posts on the forum that outlines how to install the belt. Very common mistake involves using the wrong mark on the crank pulley. 

• Like 1

i am absolutely positive about the timing. this is my second ej22 and  the first one i took apart three times to replace leaking front seal. turned out the crank had a scratch on it. nonetheless i am very confident about changing timing belts on these engines so i have eliminated timing as the problem.

at cold start the plugs are usually wet as more fuel is needed to start and less air. maybe just not getting the fuel it needs due to low pressure.

its probably the fuel pump or an injector problem or something stoopid i have overlooked.

At this point i am ready to just rip the front clip off this car and fix the ugly one that runs. 

found it. tiny little booger.  looks like fuel goes in on drivers side and starts at 4 and passes on  though the rail and comes out at 3 through regulator. if this does not hold pressure , fuel passes right though to return to the tank and no pressure to injectors..............thanks. hope this is it.  gonna change it

so to test this theory i hot wired the pump and crimped the return line. turned the engine and got a backfire through the throttle body...........still seems like a timing issue but belt is on correct..........maybe someone installed an incorrect ecu or other electronic component?.......im pulling my hair out now!!!

swapped out fuel and no luck. pulled plugs and they were wet. cleaned and dried cylinders with air chuck. reinstalled plugs and it tried to start. pulled plugs again and drenched. if the regulator is over pressurizing wouldn't the injectors still control the fuel or would they be forced to over inject?

Bad injector o-rings, really dirty/cruddy injectors, or really low fuel pressure.

If fuel pressure is too low fuel just kinda dribbles in and doesn't vaporize well enough to fire.

Same with dirty injectors, fuel can either spray in in the wrong pattern or it will just dribble in and won't vaporize properly.

• Like 1

so i have now tried to isolate the fuel system and use propane and starting fluid to no avail. i got out the timing light to verify and to my surprise the light is dead on with cylinder 1 but intermittent and sometimes no signal at all. i tried the others and got a signal on 3 and got nothing for 2 and 4. the light will flash sometimes but nothing at all on 4. i can see clearly the spark when i remove the wire but the gun will not pick up on it. i am speculating a weak coil pack or faulty ecu. this will explain the random ignition and unburned fuel.

another thing i noticed was after cranking each time i would hear a hissing coming from under the left head. seems the exhaust may also be plugged as when i loosened the exhaust manifold the hissing stopped. may be unburned fuel clogged in the catalyst and compressing air into the exhaust system.

I have my work cut out on this one.,

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!! :bouncy: ......................................coil pack!!!!!

Thanks to all who  responded to my post helping me to narrow it down...as always the more minds on the task the better.

so...if your wondering if a coil pack that has a strong spark, a good way to test is to put your timing light on each wire to see if the spark is enough to light the strobe.

now to fix everything else..........starting with the rear control arm bushings, which are metal to metal. :huh:

• Like 2