Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just a little push

What do I have to do to get my cv axle thru my new bearings?? It wont thread thru all the way. I'm still working on the front passenger side of my 87 subi gl 3door. One road block after another and I'm ALMOST done....except my axle is not the hotdog that can thrown down the wheel bearing hallway. :(

TomRhere had you on the right track with the two hammer, pic from my rear wheelbearing guide. I know you're doing a front, but same deal. 

Just work the axle out like that, tightening the nut down the threads as need be. Once you can't pull it anymore with the nut all the way threaded in in, chances are you can throw the hub on there and have enough threads to start puling it through.

IMG_2845.jpg

Sometimes they can be REALLY stubborn. I had a super stubborn axle about 600 miles from home in a shopping mall parking lot. Just keep working at it.... you'll get it.

Edited by 987687
  • Like 1

I've had axles that altogether to would never fit, as they were .004" bigger than the hole. Took quite a while to sand that one down, reman garbage. When I removed it, it took a 2 jaw puller to get it out of the hub, and it took the bearing with it. I'd rather mine be able to remove easily if on a trail or whatever.

Seafoam doesn't usually do anything, so I wouldn't expect it to be causing trouble in the engine itself. However, if your fuel system was crusty to start with it may have dislodged some debris and clogged the fuel filter. I'd start by replacing the fuel filter under the hood. It's a good idea anyway, it's an often neglected maintenance item. There's also a filter screen in the tank, but I have no idea how to access that one... I've never bothered with it.

I know where the fuel filter is located. How do I switch em out?

Disconnect the fuel hoses and the clamp that holds the filter on. Then put a new filter in it's place, connect the fuel hoses, connect the clamp. Turn the key to accessory for about 5 seconds, then turn it off. Repeat a few times to fill it with fuel and you're done.