Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think I found some metal shavings in my used motor oil today. I'm assuming this is a bad thing, but to what degree? Oil is changed regularly, every month and half to two months. This is about the time it took me to get to 3,000 miles. My speedo isn't working consistently anymore so my odometer is off.

I couldn't get them to stick to a magnet. A couple little pieces almost looked clear like glass, some metallic and some white (plastic shavings from my oil filter being scraped by my wrench possibly?)

Sorry, forgot the vitals. 1995 Subaru Legacy, ej22. About 190,000. I have a slow oil leak, add half a quart to a quart between changes. I check the levels regularly. There was some lifter noise when the oil got a little on the low side of the dip stick.

No head gaskets or major work done recently.

Some small flakes can be normal. The engine sheds metal the whole time its in use. Any mechanical thing does. 

If you start seeing bigger flakes or lots of silver swirl in the oil, that can be a sign of a major problem. 

Ill second getting an oil analysis done if its something that bothers you. Usually about $25. Ive used Oil Anayzers Inc several times in the past and they are pretty quick. 

• Like 1

I will keep an eye on thing in my next oil change and get an analysis done as well just to make me feel better about the whole thing.

No loss of oil pressure that I know of

No gold flakes either, the really metallic ones were grey or silver in color

Do you use any additives in your oil?  The stuff on your finger resembles molyB which is used in a lot of additives and in oil made for diesel engines.

It is also possible that it came from your oil filter.  If any maintenance was done to the manufacturing equipment, such as greasing it, some of the grease, which is usually a MolyB grease, could have gotten into your filter when it was made.  If your next oil change comes out clean, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by keith3267

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't look so good to me.  Looks like Aluminum, maybe something rubbing on a casing? 

Mine has 210,000 miles and after 10,000 mi the oil shows no wear contamination at all.  My magnetic drain plug has a bare film of super fine black magnetic mush on it.  Much less than I've seen on many other drain magnets.  It's even been run with way too low oil when the cam seals fell out.  I got lucky on that one.

I've always used synthetic oil and high grade filters with about 12kmi between oil changes.

Ditto on the oil test advise, since it doesn't look like enough to cause a noticeable engine problem (yet).  You do need some miles on the oil for a good test result though, don't try to test new oil.