Ultimate Subaru Message Board

any decent aftermarket cv options anymore?

So I'm in the process of doing alot of much needed maintenance on my 99 obs. Next on my list is replacing the now clicky (is that a word? Lol!) pass front axle. I've scoured the interweb and searched here, but can't seem to fond a recent review on any parts store axles. I know that OEM is best, and behind that is reman OEM, raxles, mwe, or used OEM. If I have to, I will purchase one of the aforementioned options, but in then interest of saving some funds, are there any parts store axles worth a shot? If so, which ones are the lesser of the evils? I've heard the Napa remans are decent, but not in any recent reviews. Thanks for all your help!

I have had 2 in mine from NAPA for many miles, only downside was one didn't come with a dust shield around the inner stub side (I swapped from my old), and another I had to bring back and swap because the roll pin holes wouldn't line up in either of the 2 possible orientations (and usually only one of those 2 work, I know).

My Advance unit was a Carquest CV joint, I figure they are all coming from the Orient now anyway, I didn't check this one out for place of origin.  $50 with discount.  South End auto up in Lyndonville, VT was getting under $100 installed, which is dirt cheap with all the hassles.

Edited by ThosL

Empi is no longer in business they were taken over by USA axels. That being said you can still get old warehouse stock alot of the time. I just bought a set for my Subaru about a year and 10,000 miles ago and have had zero issues.

I'm also fairly hard on axels as well

Edited by mikaleda

If worried, try and score something that has a warranty offered. Within the past 3 months, had 2 batteries go completely dead. One was around 1.5 years old (had a 3 year warranty) and other was around 2 years old (5 year warranty). Considering how expensive batteries are nowadays due to lead scrap prices, having warranties made a world of difference.