Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 97 outback with a blown engine. Car wouldn't start with the  old engine and didn't think much about it since I was putting a new one in. New engine (2.2) installed and still no spark.  Turn the key and fuel pump cycles so the ECU is getting power. Swapped in another ECU ( not 100% sure its good). Swapped the coil pack.  The crank and cam sensors came with the new engine so prob not those.  I checked the timing prior to engine install and that's all good. Anything I am missing???

Taking the ECU home tonight to see if it starts my 96 legacy auto. 

Edited by logic23

Have you inspected the fusible link in the underhood fuse box yet? My 95's link had cracked and corroded, and out of the blue car wouldn't start after stopping at a grocery store. So it went from zero issues to sitting 15 minutes and no-start. Figuring it was probably a fuse or maybe ignition coil, decided to do a quick visual starting at underhood fuse box and immediately noticed the link had cracked casing and the wire was corroded with a weak break. Fiddled with it and engine fired right up. Got it home and inserted a temp fix. Went to Auto Zone and bought a section of fusible link, and soldered the ends to the factory connectors (factory connectors appear to be stainless or very high quality steel, much nicer than the generic speaker terminal variety).

1st section I bought "worked", but the actual wire got too hot with engine idling despite being the same diameter roughly as the factory link. So went back and bought next size up and it remained cool to the touch. Dunno if the upgraded EZ36 alternator had anything to do with it (nearly 65% bump over the amperage of stock) or not as the factory link was hardened and cracked.

Anyhow, it takes 10 seconds to inspect and will NOT allow engine to start to if faulty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...