Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?best muffler sound?

Trying to figure out what route to go for a more characteristic subaru sound than stock mufflers.

So far the nicest clip we've found is the link below.

Not sure if what they did would be cost effective.

Would love any suggestions and sound clips!!

Edited by Kbsubie

Generally any of the "performance" (fart can) mufflers off of ebay etc. will give you some nice throaty Subaru growl. If you're wanting the signature sound, you don't have to pay much. Performance overall seems to lag more with the big expensive exhausts on these cars. Open muffler will give you plenty of sound.

You'll love it for at least 3 hours until the headache sets in and you can't use your CD player anymore.

• Like 1

After the cat. I never recommend anyone hollow, or remove a catalytic converter. Mostly cause i dont know where they live, or what hoops the have to jump thru to get inspections, or registrations. Where i live, its no holds barred on the exhaust. We dont have safety, or emissions to pass. I know its tough in some places, so i leave that up to whoever is doing the mods.

That said, all my current cars are "emissions legal" in most areas...visually anyway :)

Found this sound clip of my former coupe.  It is running a full stainless 2 inch exhaust from the heads all the way to the tailpipe.  There is a high flow Cat on there as well.  Muffler is a standard parts store Magnaflow.  Its got a nice deep growl.  Ask its new owner what he thinks :).  

Generally any of the "performance" (fart can) mufflers off of ebay etc. will give you some nice throaty Subaru growl. If you're wanting the signature sound, you don't have to pay much. Performance overall seems to lag more with the big expensive exhausts on these cars. Open muffler will give you plenty of sound.

You'll love it for at least 3 hours until the headache sets in and you can't use your CD player anymore.

^

CD player always goes for some reason. Then people look because of the sound and realize you are in fact not a teenaged boy.