Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I swap a 2000 2.5 outback motor into a 2003 outback

yes, easy. 

what he said - swap those two sprockets and use the intake manifold in the vehicle.  

there are two different style trigger marks on cam/crank sprockets - the car needs the style original to it. 

more than likely the "new" engine is the same - but just in case it's not swapping those sprockets gives you 100% success rate. 

If its the same as when I put an 00 into an 02 than there will be a different vacuum hose set up from the crank case. The old is slip fit on a fat hose and goes to the intake and I believe the air box. The new only goes to the intake and is threaded into a fitting on the block. If you have an npt tap you should be able to tap the inside of the slip fitting. Worked fine for me. It may not be ideal but I think it's worth it to keep original intake manifold and wiring harness. Mine also had a different style coolant temp sensor so swap coolant crossover pipe as well.

Edited by Legback0203

Also I did not swap the crank sprocket and had no issue. 

most people don't. 

like i said a very few of them (i think it's suspected it's MT engines that have a different pattern) have different trigger marks.  most are the same style so it's not an issue. 

but the possibility exists so yeah you can either: 

A.  chance it like you did and deal with it if it's a problem (not often)

B.  investigate first - check both crank or cam sprockets and if they're the same no need to swap

C.  swap as a rule. 

since most people are also installing new timing components it's really no extra work to swap them. 

Some states it's technically "illegal" to install an older engine into a newer body, and it could haunt you at the point of sale. I know if you sell a car w/o a cat for instance, the new owner can sue the previous owner to cover the costs of a new cat. Just an FYI

most people don't. 

like i said a very few of them (i think it's suspected it's MT engines that have a different pattern) have different trigger marks.  most are the same style so it's not an issue. 

but the possibility exists so yeah you can either: 

A.  chance it like you did and deal with it if it's a problem (not often)

B.  investigate first - check both crank or cam sprockets and if they're the same no need to swap

C.  swap as a rule. 

since most people are also installing new timing components it's really no extra work to swap them. 

There are 2 part numbers for those crank sprockets

13021AA17A, which says MT EJ25# 02/99-05/01 (This is from the '00-'04 Legacy/Outback catalog), and "01/03-02/04  (L#+GT+SUS#+OBK#).EJ25#, Spec U5" U5 is California emission.

13021AA16A, which only has a few teeth on it, and is the same as all the earlier EJ ones, and fits all other models (Looks like '00-'01 ATs, All '02-'03, and Federal/canadian '04s).

Cam sprockets follow the same pattern.