Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing clutch

well after having some fun, powersliding through the back roads all day, and playing with my friend in his 94 impreza with a 2.2 i started to get a slipping clutch.

i can get good used clutches for $35 from Aaron's, and i was thinking of putting one in my car my self, this is the first tiem ive changed a clutch, so what all do i have to do to get this done.

and could anyone come and help me knock it out in like a day? i can pay you a few bucks that i have.

Thanks,

Shean

Well, let's see... aside from the normal tools that you should have, you'll need a clutch alignment tool to, guess what, align the clutch when you put bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel. Unless the EJ cars are different from EA cars for this procedure, you shouldn't need any other special tools.

I've never done just the clutch before, so I'm not positive. Just to be safe, I would budget a weekend for it, but it's probably easily doable in a day or less. I dunno if this is the case with a turbo and fuel injected car, but on mine, It's easier and quicker to just yank the engine rather than drop the tranny.

I put a clutch in a friends Hatch last Friday. It took 3.5 hrs to do by my self, start to finish, and it was the first clutch I'd ever done. I did pull the engine rather than drop the tranny, but other than that I followed your basic Haynse manual procedure and it came out fine. Just read and reread the steps, and remember to wear CLEAN latex gloves when you put the clutch disk in.

A clutch is a fairly major job (even in a sube), for all the time and effort involved it would be best to do it all while you're in there, disk, pressure plate, through out bearing, pilot bearing and flywheel resurface, rear main seal would be a good idea too. That said, I know about being broke and I have put used clutch parts in my VWs in the past. In the end its only you time and labor that may be wasted, and I know that some of us have a lot more of those than money.

Tricks when using a used disk: look for one close to full thickness. If there is ANY sign of oil or grease find another. A soak in brake cleaner can never hurt. Use some fine emery paper to surface (glaze break) the flywheel, pressure plate and disk, use light pressure and a swirl pattern.

Gary

ok then im just going to get a new clutch and everything else, see what kind of deal i can get on that stuff.

then just stay after work one day at Aaron's and have Lenny and Shawn help me out since Shawn is doing a clutch in his car sometime this week also.

but all i have to say about this car is that it is absolutly AWSOME!!! it hauls so much arse, and i kept up with my buddy with his impreza with the 22 in it and 5sp.

then i just got home from hitting this hill called snake hill, all it is is twisties back and forth up a steep arse hell, i was power sliding the car thanks to that LSD, it was ALOT of fun. just cant wait to get some dirt tires and hit this set of old dirt trails by my buddies house.