Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 gl won't start

pbilt

My 85 gl won't start it was running fine pulled the radiator to get the AC condenser off from in front of the radiator. Flushed the radiator with viniger just plugged the upper and lower hose and filled it with viniger then put a thermostat in. Before I put the radiator back in I flushed about 10 gallons of water through it put it in and topped it off with 50/50 turned the key fired right up let it idle for 30/40 min letting it burp and topping off when it needed it temps never got above 200 shut it off went to start it the next day it just cranked no start. Checked cam timing it's dead on set tdc on compression stroke took the distributor cap off rotor was pointing right at cylinder 1 new plugs has spark on all 4 and 160 lbs compression on all 4 fuel pump is pumping and it won't fire with starting fluid I'm at a loss hopefully someone on here can help thanks for reading let me know if you need any more info

Checked cam timing it's dead on set tdc on compression stroke

​That doesn't sound right. From memory the camshaft timing marks line up when the piston is 1/2 way up the cylinder. 

Sounds like the valve timing is way off but in your post, no mention of tinkering with the timing belts. Odd. 

Checked cam timing with the 3 lines on the flywheel one cam was straight up the other was straight down then rotated the engine till TDC the 0 mark btdc then took the cap off rotor was right at cylinder 1

Edited by pbilt

... fuel pump is pumping and it won't fire with starting fluid ...

That's Weird. It has Spark and Timing is Good because it was working right...

But: is there Fuel on the Tank and it comes with good pressure to the intake?

Have you checked if something is blocking the Air at the air filter's Box?

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I was driving it for 5 moths before this night it has a Weber 32/36 I rebuilt 5 months ago when I first got the car running. timing has not been touched sine I first tuned it ignition timing is 20 btdc I didn't check for spark at 0tdc I set the crank to tdc then looked to see were the rotor was pointing "like if it was tdc and the rotor was firing cylinder 2" even with air filter off choke plates open

Edited by pbilt

Sorry the Weber swap was pretty important total mods 1996 spfi ea82 ohc with 1985 ea82 intake with Weber 32/36 Nippon denzo distributor no computers I don't think. I unhooked the return line from the carb its flowing out the return line so I pulled the top of the carb to check needle valve it's not stuck and it squirts with the accelerator pump

Edited by pbilt

No shut off and I know fuel is getting to the carb when you pump the throttle the accelerator pump squirts fuel into the barrel and the sediment bowl was full when i checked the needle i tried dumping gas into the barrel still nothing. would a bad carb base gasket or intake manifold gaskets cause a no start

Edited by pbilt

• 3 weeks later...

Intake manifold gaskets replaced carb base gaskets replaced but it still just cranks 2 weeks before this happened it toasted 2 alternators in 2 weeks the stock one then a replacement I took the replacement back and got a new one but it on and it worked. Then 2 days later this happened could it be an electrical I haven't been able to test cause it won't start