Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so what is an inexpensive way to get a little extra sound out of the outbacks weather you just hack off the muffler and add a piece of pipe or is there a bolt on kit that works well?

it is a little too quiet for me but i dont want the full ricer exhaust just enough to give it a nice tone.

i was given a unequal length header when i picked up the engine that i put in the car, (had some cracks in the welds) i have a welder and can fab up anything i need to,

let me know what you guys used

Easiest route would be a type of hi flow muffler. Somewhere between stock and a fart can.

My experience with Subarus is the more opened up the exhaust is the more gutless the car becomes. The fast & furious movies and such led everyone to believe bigger exhausts = faster cars. I've experienced the opposite with Subies.

you definitely want to maintain the same diameter piping all down the line if possible. It's my understanding that uniformly propagating exhaust pulses is the way to maintain scavenging.

check youtube videos for tip turn down exhaust. very cheap to try.

I really like the Stromung twin-tip muffler I put on my WRX, but it's pricey. Nice tone, not 'angry bees in storm drain' sound, and it looks stock so, cops and ricers leave me alone.

you definitely want to maintain the same diameter piping all down the line if possible. It's my understanding that uniformly propagating exhaust pulses is the way to maintain scavenging.

I really like the Stromung twin-tip muffler I put on my WRX, but it's pricey. Nice tone, not 'angry bees in storm drain' sound, and it looks stock so, cops and ricers leave me alone.

So a stock wrx muffler will bolt on?

So a stock wrx muffler will bolt on?

I don't know anybody from the DFW area at all maybe I'll Look into shipping but not likely

yeah, if you can make one fit without much cost/hassle - probably source one from a local junkyard easy enough - hopefully not too rusty.

Or, go to your 'section' (PNW ?) of NASIOC and maybe someone nearby has a 'take-off' for sale after they swapped-in a louder muffler.