Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! CVT fluid change problem

Accidentally (please don't ask lol) I wound up draining the CVT fluid. I pumped a lot of it back in but seem to be about a quart shy. I keep pumping but it keeps pouring out of the fill hole. What can I do to remedy this?

The vehicle is on 4 jack stands and I did it warm after driving the car about 10 miles. Would cold help?

I even tried different angles by using only 2 of the jack stands. Nothing seems to work so I can put all the fluid back.

I did drive the vehicle and it is NOT throwing any codes, but I don't want to drive it too far like this. 

Thx in advance

There is a youtube video on this.  Is your engine running when you fill?  Oddly, the ATF has to be a specific temp when it is filled that is not the normal temp of the oil.  Seems to be pretty tricky to get the right amount of oil in while the trans is still warming up, gotta be quick.

Well I made sure to run the car before I did the change. Honestly though i wasn't quick about it. I thought just having it warm was enough. So I shouldn't bother doing it cold?

I think I saw the vid you are referencing, but i only remember something about running it thru the gears is all.

Can i try one of those large jacks and just keep the fill side up in the air to get that last quart in?

Thx again.

When he said cold he just meant filling the transmission at idle when you first start the car, so the fluid is still cold.

Anytime transmission fluid is checked (or added on certain systems, like yours) the vehicle needs to be idling in park.

I'm sure i am short about half a quart with all the spillage

With all of subaru's emphasis on the car being level and temp between 93-113 when adding fluid, I sure wouldn't run the  car like that. It would probably be OK with the old 4EAT trans but not the cvt!

Edited by mikec03