Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT as a project car

Hey

I'm very, very tempted to buy an XT as my first project car. I'm nervous about being able to find parts though, particularly where I live. The one I'm looking at is in decent shape and comes with another parts car but I don't have much experience at all working on cars and this sort of thing. I'm keen to learn but I'm worried this is a bad place to start. I imagine some of you guys would have had experience with it so I was wondering what you think.

If you want a reliable daily driver project car - they're a fine choice. If you want a show car - not a good choice for a first timer.

All the common parts like engines, transmissions, drivetrain, brakes, suspension - are all identical to tons of other Subarus made during that time so they're easy enough to maintain. You'll never have a problem with mechanical components.

In some areas You may have to wait a day or three for parts just because they're 25 years old. 10 years ago the parts stores here were more likely to have parts in stock - now I've often got to wait. I could grad a distributor cap any day - now they don't carry those any more. But since I want mine reliable and do all that stuff preventativeky anyway it doesn't much matter.

If you're looking for a showroom restoration then yes you'll find lots of parts not available from the dealer or anywhere without significant effort and time. Not a good starting point.

Things like trim pieces, accessories, paint, decals, interior, body parts. Those will be hard to get new or factory or excellent condition and are XT specific.

JLowe is a recent XT purchaser who is doing a good bit of parts sourcing for his and really sharpening the car up. He's getting there but it's taken some James Bond Sherlock Holmes type work literally coast to coast with high capacity contacts to get there.

There's a website Subaruxt.com though registering has been problematic lately.

Good luck!

they actually make very reliable vehicles if maintained well. So a great first project car in that regard. And there ample online support here to learn about all you need to know.

Replace Timing belts and pulleys, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and fluids and they make 250,000 miles all day long.

Alternators, staters and fuel pumps are annoying. They're very reliable but old by now. New units aren't available, used ones are old and aftermarket aren't huh quality (even if they say new with lifetime warranty). I like as close to like-new reliability as I can get so I'm picky with that stuff.

Edited by grossgary

Parts are getting harder to find. If you plan to drive it every day then get something else. If you already have reliable transportation then go for it. There's lots of upgrade paths like newer engines, etc that can be adapted. 

Don't make a project out of your daily driver unless you are crazy like me and other folks on here.

GD

Xt's make great projects, but like gary, and gd say, parts are getting hard to find.

Don't let anyone talk you into, or out of a particular project car. Get what turns you on, otherwise, it will turn into work. A project car is a labor of love. You gotta love it to keep it alive.

Edited by crazyhorse001

Thanks for the input guys.

I mentioned my plans to some friends and they said the car looked ugly lol. But I still find it quite appealing in a unique way. There are a lot of older cars out there I kinda fancy but I like this one above most for its styling and uniqueness, plus it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm thinking that extra parts car will help greatly in sourcing parts. I'll have a work car so my intention is to fix it up and use it on occasion. I think I'm gonna do it, just need to figure out what to do in terms of where to actually put the two cars.

But anyway where would you guys recommend I go to start actually learning about what to do with it?

Good for you! They really are fun cars, but yeah, even when they were new, people either loved the styling or hated it. Of course, that badge can be worn by many Subarus! Like grossgary said, check out subaruxt.com, there are also several owners on the SVX facebook page. Generally, just googling will get results. 

Oh, and get some Armorall on the instrument bezel. Whatever you do, don't bump it with anything. It will shatter like sugar glass... don't ask me how I know.

What to do with it......I already told you.

Lift it. Off-road lights. Locking 4WD clutch switch if it's an automatic.

5 lug swap and EJ wheels

Engine swap

For reliability:

1. Plugs wires cap and rotor air filter fluid changes and clean and tighten battery cables. I've had them for daily drivers for 24 years. They're great if not rusted or beat.

2. Install a timing kit, water pump, cam seals and orings, crank seal, reseal the oil pump, and new valve cover gaskets.

3. Thorough brake jobs - replace pad clips (super cheap on rockauto) and any ripped slide boots. Silglyde grease.

Then it's good for another reliable 60,000 miles and many years. I

If you want a reliable daily driver project car - they're a fine choice. If you want a show car - not a good choice for a first timer.

All the common parts like engines, transmissions, drivetrain, brakes, suspension - are all identical to tons of other Subarus made during that time so they're easy enough to maintain. You'll never have a problem with mechanical components.

Keep in mind that this is only true for the XT- 4cylinders. On the XT6 however, essentially everything is unique. People generally are referring specifically to the 4 cylinder  when they say XT, but sometimes people use it more broadly so just wanted to clarify grossgary's point. You can find a way to keep an XT4 running using parts from other subaru's, but you will really really struggle to find the things you need for an XT6. 

Right good call. The 6 cylinder version is the XT6, XT6s add additional complication over the 4 cylinder XT.

Most XT6 issues have a reasonable solution but takes a little bit more work and learning. If you're not up to the extra learning curve you'll hit more speed bumps...which don't feel very good with a blown air suspension. Lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the shout-out, Gary. To the original poster, here's a link to my build thread with some info: 

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14030

To echo what others have said, you have to be very patient if you want to restore/renew. Many people don't know what it is and parts counters staffers are no help. My biggest resource (and time suck) has been salvage yards. I am on car-part.com nonstop looking for parts and begging salvage yards to sell me random widgets. This week, I have a supposedly good A/C condenser on the way, but it took calling five different yards before one would sell one to me in claimed working condition. 

The XT6 introduces a whole host of other issues, obviously, when it comes to parts-sourcing. I am an OEM fanatic so I have learned to be patient over the years with my BMW builds, sourcing parts from Europe, posting want ads in club magazines, etc., etc. As it is, my suspension still isn't 100% after converting to a custom Ground Control set-up that is still presenting some issues. That's been a six-month "experiment." Likewise, a new dual-core radiator was custom made to the tune of $600. 

And as mentioned, things like trim and moldings are non-existent. You have to learn how to renew a lot of things you might still be able to buy new with other makes. 

Edited by JLow03

All in all an xt is an interesting car to own/drive/restore. They're fun drivers, and peppy, even the 4cyl like mine. If you're looking to make a hotrod out of it, you're for sure going to have to do a motor swap. There is absolutely zero,zilch and nothing resembling any aftermarket parts for these. You cant even buy a radio install kit for them anymore.

If you have the passion, and some skill, you can make it into anything you like. From a low sleek cruiser, to a barn burning speed machine...even a lifted WTF trail rig.