Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 subaru outback manual wont shift into 2nd or 4th or reverse

i have a 2001 Subaru outback that i just replaced the clutch on. its very hard to shift and it wont go into 2nd or 4th or reverse. i can get it into 1st, 3rd, and 5th by really pushing it. i did change the transmission gear fluid at the same time. the shifter barely wants to move and wont go into those gears.

these things can be a beast to bleed, very common for these to be troublesome. not a bad idea to replace the slave cylinder and hose while it's apart if you have to go in their again for work.

engine off it still doesnt move i will bleed the clutch right now and see if that works. broken fork as in the one for the gear selector on top of the tranny?

clutch fork is the pivot for the throw out bearing and slave cylinder to play see-saw with:

https://www.google.com/search?q=outback+clutch+fork&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV8Iifk8jVAhVBeSYKHeN8AS8Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=662

Edited by idosubaru

so i bled the clutch and nothing happened. i was just looking around to see what could be blocking it. i saw that there was 2 sensors on the back off the tranny on the side. the one that's more towards the front has 2 red wires and the one on the back has 2 black wires. i loosened the back one and i was able to shift into 2nd and 4th and reverse. do i have them backwards or are is the back one suppose to be loose?

That rear sensor definitely should not be left loose.  That is a neutral safety switch to inform the ecm if the tranny is in neutral or not.  Sounds like your linkage at the rear of the trans got buggered up.   Did you perhaps remove the tranny instead of the engine to change the clutch ? Drop the rear tranny cross member and inspect your linkage. 

I just don't understand why either Nuetral or reverse switch would be removed for doing a clutch?

Do people not look for connectors?

It's like when someone removes all the sensors and wiring from an intake before pulling the engine, rather than unpluggin the entire harness connector.

I guess you gotta learn somehow.