Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think that this has been talked about before and I did a search, but couldn't find it.

On my MY2002 Legacy GT 5MT my clutch operates great. There are no noises, or vibrations when the pedal is not-pushed.

However, when I fully depressed the clutch pedal, there was a squeak at the last inch at the end of its travel coming from the outside and I felt a little bit of rubbing through my foot. It only sqeaked at that point, not a "squeak, squeak sqeak" sound like a bad throw out bearing. It appeared that the cable and or linkages needed lube. The rubbing noise was only during the movement of the pedal during the last inch of travel.

So, I went to the engine bay, underneath the air-cleaner, pulled back this little rubber boot at the throw-out bearing area (I think) and lubed it up with some grease. The noise is gone...and I no longer feel the rubbing through my foot.

Question, did I do the right thing? Is there another place I should lube? Or do I need to go and clean off this grease, cause it was all wrong. Thanks in advance!

Yeah i know what you mean with the clutch squeak. Mine has been doing it for about a year, and i havent gotten around to messing with it. I too would be interested in solutions to that annoyance. Speaking of clutches, im about to schedule an appt with the dealer to fix the infamous "cold clutch shudder" problem. Wish me luck! :)

• 1 year later...

Strakes

I'm interested in how you lubricated the throwout bearing.

I have a slight sqeak when I press my clutch half way. I have had this problem for a while and the mechanic says they lubricated the throwout bearing. It makes the noise go away every time.

He never charges me to do it, I just want to know where it is so that I can do it myself.

I had the throwout bearing replaced about 12k miles ago. This is the first time it's sqeaked since then.

Could you, or anyone, please describe exactly what the throwout bearing looks like, where it is, and what to lube?

97 Leg OB

Thanks much

I think that this has been talked about before and I did a search, but couldn't find it.

On my MY2002 Legacy GT 5MT my clutch operates great. There are no noises, or vibrations when the pedal is not-pushed.

However, when I fully depressed the clutch pedal, there was a squeak at the last inch at the end of its travel coming from the outside and I felt a little bit of rubbing through my foot. It only sqeaked at that point, not a "squeak, squeak sqeak" sound like a bad throw out bearing. It appeared that the cable and or linkages needed lube. The rubbing noise was only during the movement of the pedal during the last inch of travel.

So, I went to the engine bay, underneath the air-cleaner, pulled back this little rubber boot at the throw-out bearing area (I think) and lubed it up with some grease. The noise is gone...and I no longer feel the rubbing through my foot.

Question, did I do the right thing? Is there another place I should lube? Or do I need to go and clean off this grease, cause it was all wrong. Thanks in advance!

You have a hydraulic clutch. You most likely lubricated the pivot point on the clutch fork.

nipper