Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 na jdm engine question.

I have a 2000 legacy with the 2.5 in it. well shes tired and leaking oil and burning oil like SOB. So its time for a refresh. Reading a ton about the JDM na 2.0 sohc. I dont care about losing the power and low end, whatever Its slow a car anyway. So I hear a ton of mixed incidents. GOOD BAD AND NIGHTMARE. From what im getting is that you have to swap all the gears under the timing cover and the intake manifold off the ej25 and swap it on the 2.0 and it should run just fine with 0 codes being thrown. I Have to take emissions cant be fighting codes. Then i hear that with that sohc 2.0 you want to change the head gaskets immediately and now that the timing belt is off you might as well get a new timing belt kit. So now im at 800$ plus tax for the engine. 150. on the head gasket plus time. 200 for a decent quality timing belt kit. might as well since its open and accessible. So now im at shoot 12 1300$. . are parts easily available for this engine? is it worth the headache?

So then i found a couple low mile jdm 2.5s. 1400$ and some up to 2000$ my main question would be after all this rambling would my ecu run a jdm 2.5 if i decide to go the faster route? im more wanting to spend a little extra for a faster foolproof engine swap. I dont want to open engines and spend all the time. THis is my daily i want to be back on the road As fast as possible. thanks for reading this ramble! maybe even send me a link to something that can help

thanks

Any engine you locate , jdm or us .. you will need the crank and cam gear swamped over from the original engine. Swapping the intake manifold is 8 bolts,  a few wires and a couple of small water and fuel lines. Changing head gaskets is just a good idea on any used subi engine that you don't know the history of. A good timing kit is 200-250 with all the correct parts. Not changing those parts is like playing Russian roulette till the last try... eventually your going to lose.  The 2.0 is a good engine with a 5 speed behind it, with an automatic its more doggy.You can look on CR.list for a crashed low mile car with a good engine.. but you still will need the original crank and cam gear from your original motor and the intake should go on as well.You also still need to replace the timing components for piece of mind. No matter what way you go its not cheap.  As far as the egr.  If your original engine has one you need it, if it does not and the new engine is tapped for one ,simply block it off.    

• Like 1

I would find a car with a low miles engine with a bad body or bad trans and that way you can hear the engine run or even drive it.  Then pull the engine and part out the donor car to pick up some cash to reduce the cost of the engine.  Fenders, doors, tires, battery etc.  Keep some parts that you may need, but the 2.5 will be better than the 2.0 with an automatic and an easier swap.

Edited by 3Pin

I did the EJ20 swap into a Forester with 5MT due to a rod knock.  After it was all said and done I probably paid close to $1500-$2000 for the swap.  I also put a CCR reman into my 99 OBW.  If I do this again on a car I want to keep long term I would go for the Subaru short block and send my heads out for service (valves/seals/etc.)  

As stated above there are many options and each one has it's drawbacks.  JDM can be a crap shoot and you may get a good one or maybe not, again it's a used engine and you don't know how long it's been sitting around at the supplier.