Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of picking up a spare EJ22- Need Advice

I saw an ad for a Phase 1 EJ22 for sale. Basically a longblock (no alternator, P/S pump). Seller says was running well when pulled from an Impreza, has approx 170K on it but has sat 2- 3 years (presumably inside since that's where it is in the pics). He is asking $300

Questions:

Seller says it's a '96 or '97- what are ways I can tell which year it is from looking at it?

What should I be looking for when I go to look at it? I do plan to ask if he can turn it over by hand, since it is out of the car.

This engine could be a spare for our '97/ '98 Legacy's, or possibly to find an Outback with an ailing EJ25D and hopefully be able to swap it. If I'm correct, the EJ25D had dual port exhaust and the EJ22 was single port from 1996 on. If this is correct, do I need to find a single port header somewhere if I wanted to put this into any Outback? There is a nice looking'98 Outback Limited (looks like a 30th anniversary)with what sounds like it would be rod knock, not too far away, that this engine might be a good match for.

Also wondering how I should store this thing when i get it home. I need to make room in the garage in front of the cars and set it on the floor- is there a certain way to support it so nothing gets damaged, like the oil pan? I figure I might get an engine stand at some point.

I'd say $300 is top dollar for a private sale of an old EJ22 with that many miles. I've bought whole cars with similar engines for that price. I'd be thinking $150 would be more realistic.

For storage, these are pretty stable. I just use a couple of blocks of wood bolted together with a cutout in the middle for the oil pan to sit `in'. Bag it up with some industrial plastic (like you get from something shipped from overseas, you could probably pick some up free from any importer) so it's air-tight, and keep it off a concrete floor.

Thank you! I looked at the pics again and it looks like the spark plugs are above the valve covers, so '96 it is. 

Also, to pull an engine do I need a real engine hoist or could I use a block and tackle (the ceiling above my garage has 2 x 12 floor joists above it, so pretty strong. The last time I pulled a motor was when my Dad and I pulled a Pinto engine back in 1979.

I dont think the plug wires go through the covers until 99. 90 - 95 have dual port exhaust and are non interference. 96 has single port exhaust and is non interference. 97 and 98 are single port interference. 99 is a phase 2 and has the plug wires through the covers.

The only way I can tell 96 from 97 or 98 is by pulling a valve cover. 96 and earlier have no valve adjustments, they are hydraulic. 97 and 98 have adjustable valves. Those 2 years are virtually identical motors.

IIRC up to 96 the spark plug wires are outside of the VC. From 97 on they go through the VC.

There is a vin stamped on flat on passenger side of block.

10th digit is the year.     T=96, V=97 and W=98.

O.

this is incorrect.

Phase ii, "through the valve covers" type started in 99 and went through 2001.  Those are basically a small bore SOHC 2.5

Thank you! I looked at the pics again and it looks like the spark plugs are above the valve covers, so '96 it is.

Also, to pull an engine do I need a real engine hoist or could I use a block and tackle (the ceiling above my garage has 2 x 12 floor joists above it, so pretty strong. The last time I pulled a motor was when my Dad and I pulled a Pinto engine back in 1979.

As stated the info above is incorrect. All phase I EJ22s 1998 and earlier have the same plugs above the VCs. 96 and 97 both go through the valve covers. 96 may be HLa and 97 are solid lifters - pop a valve cover or have an inspection camera with you.

usually 96s have the old style tensioner and 97s have the new style tensioner. Pull the drivers sire timing cover (3 10mm bolts, real easy) and look.

Run some 2x’s on end perpendicular to the rafters/lower chord of the truss and use those for the engine work so it can spread the weight over more trusses/rafters as well as limit the movement of the chords/rafters as the engine sways, swings, pushes and pulls.

Im sure it would hold the engine statically just fine and you could get away with it once easiky but I wouldn’t do it simply from a lower chord/rafter on such an important structure. I can’t see the type of rafters or truss structures or the spacing, slope, design or type of wood but I wouldn’t recommend using the garage rafters like that. I wouldn’t want a lower chord/rafter carrying that much weight Particularly where that load could push/pull or the engine could slip or swing which happens during engine pulls.

Edited by idosubaru

Well I guess I didn't remember correctly lol .

If you can/are willing to put a small hole in the ceiling, find a place where the beams cross and put a length of chain around it and secure with a nut and bolt.

Of course the car has to be able to be centered under it.

From 2004 until now, along with a comealong ,is how I've pulled at least a dozen engines.

O.

If donor has hydraulic lifters, might as well pull covers and hand-clean them until only clean oil exits, and verify all lifters will hold firm. My 95' had a ton of lifters that would not hold firm, even after hand cleaning. Had to swap in donor lifters from a 96'. After cleaning and priming (4-5 years ago?) I've yet to hear them get noisy, even after it's been sitting for weeks. 

there are a couple of things to determine the year of the motor...

I kinda went through this recently.... I was trying to determine mine was 1998.......

95 96 97 98              Checking if you have a two piece timing belt tensioner

95 96  I believe used a two piece tensioner on the timing belt

97  98    was     a one piece  tensioner

When I got valve cover gaskets I was asked for my production year....  due to a change in the valve cover gasket

somewhere along in the 98 production year.... 

The valve cover is slightly different on 97 - 98

That is all I know off hand..........

When I got valve cover gaskets I was asked for my production year....  due to a change in the valve cover gasket

somewhere along in the 98 production year.... 

The valve cover is slightly different on 97 - 98

90-95 dual port exhaust

96 single port , large flat on the top of head (center) Hydro roller followers

97,98 Single port, large flat w/ small rectangular notch cut in. solid roller followers

99, Phase II, single port but with cam cases, and plugs through valve covers.  not compatible.

FWIW, all phase I, i.e. 90-98 Valve covers are the same, single or dual port exhaust.