Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC problem...fix it or ditch it?

Hi all, Havent posted in a while, hope everyone is doing well...anyway heres my deal. My AC is retrofitted to r134a and the system was dry and clean when I did it and I also replaced the drier. The AC blows cold and feels great but the car dies after it warms up. If i turn the AC on when Im cruising, the coolant temp climbs and climbs and doesnt stop until I turn the AC off. it also feels like I am pulling a trailor when the AC is on. Im running 4-5psi of boost just to maintain 70 mph on a flat road with the AC on. I thought I needed more pag oil, so I added 4oz more with no difference. low pressure side is ok...what should high pres. side read? Any ideas? could the coolant SENSOR have anything to do with this?

My next question is this: Should I just ditch the AC?...its one less 8lb pulley and makes room for the oil cooler and better radiator efficiency. I will most likely do this if my fix requires more than $30...whats your opinion?

Fix it or ditch it?

Is that even debatable? Throw that junk in the garbage :)

Dude, have you ever been to Phoenix? I'm sure that 110 degrees in the shade doesn't feel too nice without AC. I say find a way to keep it and upgrade to a 2-core radiator (if your car does not have one already).

I do have a 2 core radiator...6 of my 8 cars Ive owned have not had AC...its not too bad, as long as you park in the shade (yesterday my car was 160 deg inside parked in the sun!) and drive with no shirt on :-p plus it makes being outside more tolerable because you get used to it! Then again I have lived my whole life in the AZ sun, including summer football and such, so maybe I am calloused to the heat...its the cold that gets me! To me AC is a luxury, thats why its debatable for me

Dude, have you ever been to Phoenix? I'm sure that 110 degrees in the shade doesn't feel too nice without AC. I say find a way to keep it and upgrade to a 2-core radiator (if your car does not have one already).

Um ya? It gets over 100 degrees in more places than Phoenix, AZ....

AC makes people weak :drunk:

If i turn the AC on when Im cruising, the coolant temp climbs and climbs and doesnt stop until I turn the AC off.

Are you sure the A/C compressor fan is kicking on along with the A/C? If it's not, that may explain the increased temps during A/C usage.

Even up here in north A.Z. it gets to be 100+. My ac quit last summer when it was 110! As long as your moving its not to bad.This year my radiator is going bad and i just cant afford to replace at this time. So i took my A.C condenser out and mounted it where spare goes hooked heater hoses up to it and put the ac fan on the bottom of condenser hooked to toggle switch and it keeps my car cooler then the radiator ever did!!!!!! icon6.gif