Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Forester.  Had some real fun today with the alarm going off and not knowing how to stop it.  I didn't have the key fob, it only came with one and I don't really care much for an alarm.  Does hitting the door lock button twice (I think I did) arm the alarm?  Will hitting the door lock button once just lock all the doors including the rear hatch, without arming the alarm?  What if I accidentally hit it twice, can I hit the unlock then lock once again only lock the doors and hatch?

I found an old thread about disconnecting the entire alarm by simply unplugging it.  Will that work on a 2004?  Or will I need to connect a jumper to allow me to start the car?

• Like 1

Yes I did use the key to get in, that's what set off the alarm.  I didn't know about cycling the key off and on 3 times, that would have been great to know yesterday!  Yes there is a panic button on the fob, I tried it once at home.  It's the same as the "arm" button.  I think I just held it in for a second or two.  Anyway I didn't have the fob with me yesterday.

98 OBW owner's manual says " The alarm will stop only by unlocking a door, rear gate or trunk lid with a key. The alarm may not stop if the key is turned too quickly. In such a case, turn the key again more slowly. The alarm will not stop if the ignition switch is turned on to "ACC", or "ON." Don't know if this applies to your '04, but worth a try.

Also, I recently had an alarm problem. I replaced the car battery on my 98 OBW. I did not have the key Fob, so installing a new battery set off the alarm. Got advise to  "have key ignition turned to the "RUN" position, when connecting battery cables to battery." That advise worked great, the alarm no longer sounded.

• Like 1

Thanks Rooster but my main goal here is to completely disable the alarm for at least as long as I own the car which I hope to be a long time.

Besides it sounds like a whole different setup.  To turn this alarm off it takes 3 cycles of the ignition switch, and I did at another time have my battery disconnected and when I connected it again the alarm didn't go off (or "on").  In fact, Subaru didn't even give me a rear hatch lock to put a key into.  I'm seriously thinking of removing the license plate, drilling a hole and leading a wire or cable tie out so when I pull on it, it will unlock.  Sure someone might figure it out, but it's very seldom I even lock the car so I'll take a chance.  If it was cheap enough to get a lock like on the front doors that takes the same key, I'd put a working lock on the rear hatch.  But I doubt it would be cheap.  Hmm, unless I get one from a junkyard and pull or grind enough tumbler pins just so a screwdriver doesn't open it but my key does.  And no I do not have the key code.

why do you not want the alarm?

have you looked into using valet mode?

VALET mode: To set valet mode or
just to disable the security alarm system: 1. unlock all doors 2. physically
open the driver's door 3. hold the UNLOCK button on remote for 2+ seconds.
The red 'security' light will then flash 2 times a second until the car
is turned on.

from; http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#2005%20impreza-forester

I have never had the need for an alarm.  I have locked the doors in previous cars without an alarm and I've never had one broken into.  I just find it a nuisance.  Not to mention that when my alarm sounded, people just went about their business, some with friendly smiles as if they have been in the same situation.  I doubt very much if a cop was passing at the time that
they would have stopped.  I will try that valet mode and see if it stays non activated when I use the lock door switch.

Just order up a key fob for it on ebay.

It's not just an alarm - it's a central locking system that will lock all your door and unlock them from your keychain. That's worth the $15 for a remote and a few minutes of your time to program it. 

Much easier than removing it. That car has the alarm system from the factory - I don't think it's going to be trivial to physically remove the system.

Why make things so complicated? If you don't like the "electronics" then you'll need to rip out the engine computer and put a carb and distributor on it also (don't try this, it's not possible). 

Also - I'm almost positive that removing the module will render the power door locks inoperable. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

It isn't just about whether a cop is passing by, most burglars aren't gonna want any level of attention - even a passing glance from bystanders.

if some hooligans are hanging around the car, you can set-off the 'panic' alarm as you approach it.

It's a deterrent, not a guarantee. Even if it went off, then timed out, when you return to the car, it will beep an xtra time and you'd know 'something' set-off the alarm. You could at least check that your lugnuts weren't loosened in an aborted attempt to steal rims  or the cat converter hasn't been removed (that happened to a coworker on his SUV !) ((does it have a shock sensor? my car does))

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

You guys just don't get it.  In my driving history of about 41 years I have never had anything stolen out of my vehicles, and 95% of the time I don't even lock the doors.  Maybe you all have more expensive things in your cars than I do?  So for me it's just a pain the the rump roast to carry around a big fat key fob when I'm used to just a couple keys with no fob at all.  I even have different key rings for my different vehicles so they are nice and small in my jeans pocket with just 2 or 3 keys.  Maybe I need bigger jeans and a tighter belt to keep them up?  Then I'd have big baggy pockets for my key fob remote!

I tried the valet thing and that may be good for me.  Although I may have to check if the alarm light is an LED, if not change it to one since it flashes continuously except when the engine is running.  I'm not worried about battery drain, but the bulb to burn out.

I've never had any car parts stolen either, or loose lug nuts.  Either you all are paranoid or I'm too easy going. :)

nah, I get it.

I have had an unlocked car rifled-thru once, they didn't find anything but a made a mess and the battery ran down.(guess they didn't want the noise of closing the door?) And some prescription sunglasses stolen from a top-down convertible,

but I usually don't have anything expensive in the car - I like having the option of parking and locking that car if we're making multiple shopping stops or traveling - but it really doesn't happen that often.

the valet mode may be a good fit for you - you could always re-enable the security function if you did park the car with something attractive in it or in a skecthy area. Maybe leave a fob in the car and one at home?

I don't think you get it - you can't remove it easily. And not without causing things like the power door locks to stop working after you do it. 

The path of least resistance is to just get a cheap fob, program it, and move on with MUCH more important things in your life. 

Desiring to leave the car unlocked is a bit silly since the alarm system will not arm if you do this. So apparently you do want to lock the car.....

In the event the alarm goes off when connecting the battery - cycling the key three times, or hitting the door lock/unlock button will shut it off. 

So assuming you actually don't lock your car as you claim, then the only time the alarm would be an issue is if the battery is disconnected or dies. Which is rare enough that you could just let it sound and deal with it. 

I'm not really understanding your logic. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

GD, my logic is "less is more".

I wrote that I don't lock the car 95% of the time, that equals locking it 5% of the time. The one time I did lock it since I've owned it about a month now turned into the alarm sounding and me not knowing how to stop it.  So I came here for help.

I was looking for a way to disable the alarm when the car is locked with the lock button on the drivers side door.  I found it here.  It's called the valet mode.  Yes at first I wanted to completely disable the alarm semi permanently, but I learned here that I can't.  I am going to get an extra fob to leave in the car like 1LT suggested, or I suppose if I find myself in a really bad neighborhood and I'm brave enough to get out of the car, maybe I'll take the fob with me.

Prices for fobs are all over the place, now I need to know if a 88035AC231 fob can be replaced with a A269zua111 without any difficulty.

Thanks for all your help,

Tony

I ordered one with the second part number, took a $15 chance.  Some sales say it will replace the early part number (it looks identical) but on a website on Ebay one with the second part number lists a lot of Subaru's but not one Forrester?  I'll see what happens.  I used my Amazon 5% rebate credit cards rebate so the purchase actually only cost me 20 cents!

to be honest - I think a car alarm pro/con depends a lot on where you live.

I live in a very rural area, not a lot of crime, especially in relation to vehicles around here. I rarely lock my doors, and usually only do so when I have been out shopping (which is not often) Hell, a lot of farmers around here leave the keys in their vehicles so they dont have to hunt down keys when they need to go chase loose cattle or something.

yes, my 2002 Forester does have an alarm on it.. it uses the horn for sound.. I found out how to turn it on or off by using the fob (the squarish looking one is what I have) by holding down both the lock & unlock buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds. I have no idea if this would work on an '04 or not.

If less is more then you best get something with a carb, crank windows, and manual door locks. I won't argue with that logic because frequently you would be right. Thats why many of my tools (including my truck) were made long before electronics and plastic invaded every aspect of our lives.

GD

Prices for fobs are all over the place, now I need to know if a 88035AC231 fob can be replaced with a A269zua111 without any difficulty.

Re: 2004 Forester key fob remote,

Letting you know that I received my remote with the second part number above today and it took me 3 or 4 tries but I got it programed to work!  $15 well spent.

Oh, although on Amazon they give that part number, the remote I received doesn't have a sticker on the back with a part number.  Only other thing is the little ring that goes on your larger key ring is a lot lighter duty.  I don't know if it's a problem or not.