Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Start/:

I have a freshly resealed ea82 that I have been driving for the past couple of days. It has been great, today I noticed the alternator drive belt was a bit loose retightened it after it the car stalled out on me. I had my dad jump start me and everything seemed fine. I went on my way to wash my car, after driving it for about 10 minutes to recharge the battery, and shut it off. After finishing the wash I started her up and went home.

I tried to start it to go to the parts store and it wouldn't even crank over. I replaced the alternator about two years ago. The battery is a month old.

What gives? Right now I'm checking/cleaning my grounds. Where are all the grounds on a 93 loyale? I've found three, one under the spare tire, one under the ignition coil, and one by the battery.

Just a point of information - 10 minutes is no where near long enough to charge a battery.

Typical battery is about 100AH. Could be more or less, depending on what size it is.   From zero charge, with a brand new battery [12.0V resting] that means 20 amps for 5 hours minimum, not counting efficiency losses.  In a stock loyale,  The engine must be revved above idle to get enough to run the engine, let alone make additional 20 or more amps to other things, like charging the battery and running lights, etc.

Check the connections. 
Other note - I have seen a brand new battery develop an open circuit / high resistance connection internally that could run lights, but not allow enough to turn the starter.  Not common, but it can happen.

Check the battery connections make sure they're clean.

Check the battery to see if it is charged.  Use a voltmeter.  Below 10 volts get battery tested.

Recharge the battery if it is dead.  Repeat step 2.

If the battery won't take a charge it is faulty, get new battery.

If battery charges but won't recharge from alternator, check alternator.

If alternator and battery are good, add relay to starter.

If still problems, check starter solenoid contacts, replace if worn.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

see ChrisFix videos on YouTube for battery and alternator testing with voltmeter

Harbor Freight has a battery/alternator checker for about $6-idiot lights

Amazon has a starter relay kit for about $20-instructions included

Solenoid contacts are about $5 on line from various sources-many videos avail. on replacement

Ignition switch circuit getting old.

Add a relay, or a pushbutton, or both.

I see this all the time.  Customer brings old subie in for no starts.........battery replaced, alt replaced, jump starting works sometimes, blah blah......

Yeah it's the ignition circuit.......add a relay or pushbutton.