Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New stud front wheel 2005 outback

Smack it out with a hammer,   Place new stud in hole .... tap in as best you can ... place larger nut over stud from wheel side anti sieze stud,spin on lug nut snug to larger nut ... big ratchet and draw stud into place.  The final draw down happens after you install the tire and rim . Use large tool to make sure stud is seated ... don't forget to back it off and re-torgue studs when done.

Edited by montana tom

opinions wanted:

So the history is that I took the car to Walmart for 4 new tires. Went cheapo since the car is at 190K miles and has a bunch of other issues that I might not want to deal with.

They take the car in and within minutes report to me that the stud is stripped.

Well, for nearly 40 years I have been doing my own brakes and since I don't have air tools have always just used anti seize and hand tools. i have been known to make mistakes (never admitted this to my wife) but I would have thought I would have felt if the threads were crossing...

Question is whether the young mouth breather tech had the gun air pressure cranked up and didn't realize he had it on forward as he tried to remove the nut...

Would this cause the damage?? The stud is chewed nearest the hub and not so much at the tip. The nut's threads are all kinds of gerfucked!

OK, I misread your earlier post, thinking that this happened after the store had completed changing all wheels.

But if they found the bad stud at the beginning, then it may not have been their fault after all.

But I am also very nervous of shop personnel wielding air-wrenches, set to who-knows-what torque.

• Like 1

But since I had NO sense that the nut was cross threaded when I last replaced it BY HAND, isn't it more likely that the tech had his air gun set to a very high torque and unaware that he had it set to forward, laid into the nut while trying to remove it? OR would stripping/mangling the nut/post under those circumstances even be a possibility?

Edited by brus brother

It could be a possibility.  I'd be looking at the rim as the rim's mating surface with the nut will be showing some signs of severe contact if an air gun was used to tighten up the nut.

Not much fun there.  All wheel nuts should be done up by hand rather than an air gun.

Cheers

Bennie

It's walmart... with minimum wage workers...  I'm sorry but you get what you pay for.   Very likely the tech did the damage... oh well....  They won't admit it... Its just a wheel stud ... knock it out yourself and change it.  If you let the walmart boys pull that hub to change a stud your in for way bigger issues than a buggered stud.

this is really easy - just go fix it without replacing the stud.  i've done it dozens of times.  I've hit plenty of studs with a die and the nut with a tap and they're good to go - clean, smooth engaging and perfectly fine.  then there's no need for any work/time/cost or pounding wheel bearings getting the stud out.  there's quite literally zero risk in doing so, regardless of any backseat commentary otherwise.   i would seriously just consider doing this and moving on.  you can even do it yourself - they easily drive thousands of miles of nominal driving with 3 out of 5 lug nuts in place - you'll be fine driving home carefully with 4. 

I wouldn't worry about assigning blame, do it yourself or find a shop that will do it by hand every time.  there are endless finger pointings at techs and lug studs, and a busy, cheap shop with demanding, penny pinching, and hurried customers isn't the ideal place for deliberate/high quality - so that is the obvious and real possibility.  that being said i do think it's also a tough area in general to assign blame.

1. if i hit a lug stud with with my 1,000 ft/lb gun and high flow fittings i highly doubt they would break so i doubt the tech sheared a perfect, like-new stud and nut.

2.  at 190,000 miles, by the subaru maintenance schedule of tire rotations, there have been 1,000 lug nut removal/installs performed on that vehicle.  that's a lot of iterations for a slight compromise or forgotten incident.

3.  i realize you didn't notice any issues with the last install - but the tires were probably changed a few times using air tools.  these commonly damage threads, even if lightly and unnoticeably.  this can also happen with hand tools but to a lesser degree. I'm surprised how common it is.

damage happens when the lug studs are removed.  As it's spinning off really fast - there is a fraction of a second where the nut isn't fully engaged, nor fully disengaged from the threads when it's zipping off with an air gun.  during this moment the threads are making intermittent contact at high speed, which is damaging if there's any off-axis forces being applied - unsteady hand, heavy gun, air hose pulling on it, and the changing loads of the "nut on the stud" verses "nut not on the stud"...etc.  this is very common.  usually it's just minor imperfections and unnoticeable and the nut/studs are forgiving. 

4. lug studs can get tight over time.  maybe it was a bad winter, maybe they were loaded with salt, maybe the car was parked over grass for an extended period of time...

i'm not saying any of this is the case - i'm really just saying - even if the tech is 100% responsible i think it's hard to pin something as common as sheared lug studs on a tech.  even if you're right - i wouldn't necessarily fault a shop who is constantly barraged with reports of how their work has caused the demise of someones car.