Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about axles.

Because there totally are not enough threads on axles already.  Sorry in advance..

I'm in the process of dropping the transmission on my 83 GL to change the clutch and do some general cleanup and I see that all four boots on both front axles are shredded.  

I found these online: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV-Axle-Assembly-100-New-CV-Axle-Heri-92275-fits-80-89-Subaru-GL/292662273169?fits=Year%3A1983|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3AGL&epid=112933158&hash=item442407e491:g:Xs0AAOSwRQlbGllA

Which is like the price of replacement boots.  

I'm looking to get the car to a happy place (new clutch and what not) then sell it to a friend.  

What are your thoughts on these?  Also what the hell should I do with the old axles?

Do you have any better ideas?

Erik

Are the old axles original Subaru?  Do they click, or do anything worse?
If they are original, and not destroyed, Clean re-grease and reboot them.  They'll go another 100K miles.

Any cheap aftermarket ones, you are not doing anyone as favor - I would not sell them to a friend.

always reboot axles.  Replacements have tons of issues. 

- the companies are just building them cheaply and you’re paying the difference with your time, break downs, return hassles.  You’re helping companies make money, not helping yourself by buying cheap axles. 

• Like 3