Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Impreza outback Mt transmission interchange

I have a 2004 Impreza outback sport. I need to find a replacement for a manual transmission. I'm having no luck at finding one, so I'm looking at other Subarus.

Locally I've found a 2003 legacy, a 2003 Impreza, a 2002 Forrester, and a 2004 Forrester. All with manual transmissions.

Are any of these compatible with my car? Or is there a resource I can turn to to find out?

vector - do you have grinding noises or just failure to go into gear? does reverse work?

these other guys here are excellent mechs, but not being with the car, you need to shre exactly what's going on.

if you do decide to swap, you MUST get a trans with the same final drive ratio. There could also be an issue with how the clutch is operated I think?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

25 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You think? Have you opened it up? They are easy to repair. 

I haven't opened it up yet. I don't have the tools, shop, or knowledge to tackle it all by myself. I have some some research though and talked to a handful of mechanic friends and they all come to the same conclusion.

22 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

wector - do you have grinding noises or just failure to go into gear? does reverse work?

these other guys here are excellent mechs, but not being with the car, you need to shre exactly what's going on.

if you do decide to swap, you MUST get a trans with the same final drive ratio. There could also be an issue with how the clutch is operated I think?

There are grinding noises and reverse does not work. It is stuck in 4th only. I can't even get it into neutral anymore. I do think that the clutch needs replaced also.

How do I find it transmission ratios?

well, there you go. run some better oil and frequent change intervals for the new one. 

you can swap any gear ratio you want if you also swap the rear diff to match and don't mind gearing/speedo being a little off. 

google 'subaru final drive ratio" or something like that and there is some limited information out there. 

alternately go to a subaru parts website and look up the rear diff or center diff for your vehicle and click the "applications" tab to see what other vehicles it applies to.  some of the subaru parts sites are really slick for this. plug around with that and you can figure it out. 

car-part.com , maybe LKQ , their systems already have it figured out and should only show compatible parts.

but, if you are shopping craigslist or a pull-a-part yard, take Ido's advice above. There 'may' be a thread at NASIOC with a list of compatible vehicles.

I think there were some minor improvements internally on some(?) 2006 and later 5spds if you can find one that's compatible.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan