Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Klunk/bumping while driving over 25mph

Hello all, 

I have a 85 Gl 2.2 swapped with just over 200k on the body. Here is my issue. I have a bumping noise in my front end while driving. If I am going under 25MPH it is unnoticable, but when I go over 25 the noise starts and gets louder the faster I go. When I turn right it goes away, but when I turn left it gets louder. I had the front passenger CV replaced last December when I had the same issue happened. It went away then now it's back. I took the car back to the shop to see if the axle went out again. They said the axle was fine. The put the car in the air and ran it... No noise. So something to do with the weight of the car?  They said it was transmission, but I've stuck my ear to the gear shift while the noise is occurring, but there is no noise coming from the trans. Could this be possible transmission problems, or could there be something else? 

Check your wheels to see if there is any play in the bearings.  Also check your shock absorbers.  Also one of your wheels may be out of balance.  I'm surprised your shop didn't already check these things for you when you complained of the noise.

1 hour ago, Dee2 said:

Check your wheels to see if there is any play in the bearings.  Also check your shock absorbers.  Also one of your wheels may be out of balance.  I'm surprised your shop didn't already check these things for you when you complained of the noise.

The shop said my bearings were fine. But when I can I'm gonna put the Ol girl on stands and personal inspect them myself. I had the front driver bearing replaced a little after the axle. I forgot to mention earlier that I hear clicks in the front when I come to a stop.

Could the 2.2 be to much power for that transmission, and caused it to fail? I really don't think it could be  transmission failure, but I have to face that possibility. 

Yeah, clicking....  Transmissions don't click... axles click. 

Go to another shop if you need to.  If they say it's the axle, go back to the first shop and have them take a test drive with you.  Running it in the air may not reproduce the problem.

Edited by Dee2
  • Like 1

Other things that typically change the clicking of dying axles - loading - acceleration VS engine braking VS coasting.

Angle of the axle - where it is in the suspension travel.

So yes, unloaded, spinning in the air probably won't be conditions it is under when driving.

I jacked the car off the ground today, and checked it. All the wheel bearings were tight. Front axles were tight. Did notice some in and out play on the output splines. Is that normal? On the rear, the pass CV was tight, the driver had some play on the hub spline, but the joints felt good. All the other axles don't have any play on the splines. While driving today, I noticed that the noise has lessened. It's more prominent between 45-50 and turns into more of a vibration out side of that. 

So far all we have to go by is descriptions of noises, which seem to come and go.  It's good that the bearings have been eliminated.  Some slight in-out movement on axles is normal.

Clicking and changes in sound while turning would indicate an axle problem.  Vibrations could be related, or from another separate problem.

Vibration could be a transmission problem but not enough info to make that call.  You also said you didn't hear any noise through the shifter so there is that to go by as well.  Vibrations/noises can also be from bad tire(s).