Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 One broken off bolt in top of head that AC mounts onto, is it important?

The AC on this car hasn't worked anyways (and I'm in L.A. so not too hot (yet) ) and it felt solid even with this broke off bolt (level with the head) before moving the AC & its bracket out of the way to do the timing belts & front seals. Maybe this bolt doesn't matter unless I'm going to be off-road and doing cartwheels (don't have any bolts holding my battery either). should I try to get it out & put in a new bolt - or try something crazy like drilling a smaller hole in the center of this broken bolt and tapping it & use a smaller bolt - or forget about it ? Any other ideas welcome also - of course I could/maybe should remove the entire AC & run smaller belts?

1513906202_rotateleftIMG_20181111_202940.thumb.jpg.12ff050474a0a34c7cd5b197834ed0a1.jpg

slid unbolted AC over about 1/4 inch for clarity

IMG_20181111_202325.thumb.jpg.fbfba1a2b01a405553d8a2d31f93ae17.jpg

Ignore it and carry on, it doesn't matter at all, you can even offroad and do your cartwheels.  The fasteners used for the accessory brackets far exceed any forces they'll ever experience.  You can easily lift the engine and trans with the accessory brackets with no worries.  No way they'll ever see loads even remotely close to that while performing their normal functions in the engine bay. I have routinely not installed all the accessory bracket bolts on my daily drivers.

Ignore it and carry on, it doesn't matter at all, you can even offroad and do your cartwheels. ..

I'm sure your right, but I didn't see your good response - Thanks!   & it came out easy following suggestions here - with a slight little different twist on my part

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/35018-easy-out-procedure/?tab=comments#comment-283038

1st Liquid wench, then followed suggestion here & got left handed drills, drilled a small hole about 1/2 inch deep - but the next one LH in the $12 set was too big so got a right handed drill 2 sizes larger and cocked drill motor to the right to compensate for previous hole being a little too far to the right - started slow and "all the sudden it looked like bolt HAD GONE IN FURTHER -about 1 turn.. stopped & got a steak knife, stuck it in my now chamfered looking hole, twisted CCW and it backed out!

1172124796_drilledbrokenACmountboltinblock20181112_143045.jpg.80482966011c3f3cda96ea328bf8ec2a.jpg

Edited by Craigar