Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Subaru legacy AWD won't budge

Rescued a 1995 subaru legacy wagon awd automatic last week. Started and ran at first, but wouldn't shift out of park.  Thought I could just take off the auto shifter face plate and use the old screwdriver in the bypass hole ,  but no such luck.  Shifter moves when I press down on saftey switch, but doesn't really seem to shift gears.  Car won't start now after the tow and I think it was the final straw for the shift cable or the shift inhibitor switch.

Any thoughts on how to get it out of gear?

Imdew,  thanks, there is a 97 automatic that my mechanic is going to scrap after this one gets back on the road.  Going to pick the shifter, cable, inhibitor switch off that one first.  If that falls through, I will PM you.

95-97 are all the same.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, 3Pin said:

Imdew,  thanks, there is a 97 automatic that my mechanic is going to scrap after this one gets back on the road.  Going to pick the shifter, cable, inhibitor switch off that one first.  If that falls through, I will PM you.

95-97 are all the same.

i thought 95-98 was same am i wrong? i have a 95 engine and trans in my 98 outback.