Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4x140 conversion option

There’s a good thread about this when doing the same for 5x100.

Its not recommended due to the amount of material that’s removed - lose too much strength in the cast piece.  This is for the EJ brake conversion.

If you’re just looking for a stud PCD change, you should be alright depending on how close to the original holes the new ones will be.

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

I will have to look at that thread.  From measurements, it appears there would be enough material to re-drill, especially if I "plug" the existing holes.  The more pressing question is the "location" lumps on the hub.  They do not seem to provide any support or re-enforcement, so it seems possible to turn the hub flat and re-drill...

hub_photo.jpg

On 3/8/2019 at 3:34 PM, Hawkwolf223 said:

I will have to look at that thread.  From measurements, it appears there would be enough material to re-drill, especially if I "plug" the existing holes.  The more pressing question is the "location" lumps on the hub.  They do not seem to provide any support or re-enforcement, so it seems possible to turn the hub flat and re-drill...

You won't be able to "plug" the old holes.  Hub is Cast.  Unless you've got some really bad rump roast TiG skills and proper Machine and Gases.  And then it's still iffy.

I don't think there is room on the back side for the heads of the stud.  

you'd have to remove material back there too, and THAT would be the weakening......I would be afraid of the hub cracking if it was turned too far down.

Honestly you'd be better of with adapters, which are available.  Just get the thinnest one you can and it won't hurt the wheel bearings really.  

What kind of wheel/tire do you want to put on there?